Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nicky Butt puts in transfer request

• 13-01-2004 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Butt is off
    By NEIL CUSTIS

NICKY BUTT is up for sale after his transfer request was accepted by Manchester United.

Boss Alex Ferguson will allow the England midfielder to leave for £5million after a long chat yesterday.

Fergie does not want Butt to go — but he cannot guarantee him first-team football at Old Trafford.

Tottenham, Everton and Birmingham are ready to bid for a player who made his United debut 12 years ago.

Ferguson told SunSport: “Nicky Butt has asked to leave, it is a very sad situation.

“Nicky has given Manchester United great service but he wants to play first-team football.

“With Phil Neville, and the emergence of Darren Fletcher and Kleberson, it has made it difficult for Nicky to get in the first team so he has asked to leave.”

Butt, 29 this month, has this season and another two years left on his contract but he has fallen down the pecking order this season and started only 11 of the club’s 31 games.

Butt will feel his place in the England squad for Euro 2004 is in jeopardy if he does not get a move and start playing regular first-team football again.

The midfielder’s departure will end a lifelong love affair with his local club, who he signed for on trainee forms way back in July 1991.

He made his senior debut against Oldham in November 1992 and has gone on to make 372 appearances for the club scoring 26 goals.

Only Ryan Giggs (571 appearances), Gary Neville (419), Roy Keane (417) and Paul Scholes (394) in the present squad have made more.

Butt is the second of Ferguson’s generation of youth players to head for the exit door as he sets about creating a new era.

The manager set the process in motion when he allowed David Beckham to join Real Madrid for £25m in the summer.

Full Story

Sad to see another of the youths that United s success over the past decade was built on. leave IMO. There will be no shortage of takers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

I can't believe £5 million is the asking price!!? That's a steal for any club with a bit of ambition! Great servant to the club and will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

its a pity he is leaving he can be excellent on his day!!! 5 million is too little imo who ever buys him will be getting some deal

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yeah, it's a shame. He has been very loyal over the years at United and has put in some great performances. But that is football for you. I hope wherever he goes he does well. One thing that is for sure though it will be to another English team. Because he will want to be seen by Sven to get his place at Euro 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

didnt spurs put a bid in for him before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by The Muppet
    ...and started only 11 of the club’s 31 games.
    Thats a lot more games than I thought he started he must have been involved in over half of the matches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Hrmm.. it was bound to happen, Fergie seems to be building an entire squad of midfielders for some reason.

Strange as this may seem, I'd think that Liverpool could do with a player like Butt.

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    didnt spurs put a bid in for him before?
    I'd be happy if he did go to Spurs. It would be a good move for him. I'd doubt if he'd go to Liverpool or any of our other rivals. But I wouldn't rule out a move to Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I commented in the Miller thread that this would happen as soon as Liam had decided to join.

I have to admire the lad, I mean he could have stayed at one of the biggest clubs in the world got paid a fortune and done nothing but instead he showing that he's a real football player who wants to play even if it's not at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I reckon spurs will be after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Think he would be good back up for Gerrard and Hamann at Liverpool. Or perhaps push Gerrard back out right and Butt in the middle or vice versa, anything to get rid of Diouf.

While he would be a good buy he probably wouldn't go to the pool and he might not get a regular first team berth. Man. City would be doubtful, they may well be first division next year which prob would not appeal to him, any chance of a move abroad ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

He cant go for 5mill. thats just too good of an offer. Its gotta be at least 6/7 mill.

I think he is a brilliant defensive midfielder. he would be awesome with scott parker for charlton or any other team for that matter.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    any chance of a move abroad ?
    I'd doubt it. I think it would be a bad move for him if he wants to get into the England squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I'd say Spurs are the best bet. David Pleat said yesterday that he had tried to sign Davids before Barcelona so he is looking for a midifelder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Have to admit I'd be delighted to see him in a Spurs top. He's got great leadership qualities, is a brilliant DM, and gets stuck in, just what the team is missing at the moment - backbone.

Steve McLaren said that he'd fight tooth and nail if he became available, and Boro always have loads of money to spend, so he could go there, but I hope to see him in a Spurs shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Everton or Blackburn would be my guess at his destination as he could move to these without the turmoil of uprooting his family and moving house.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There's no way he's worth 6/7mill. He's 29 and he's hardly sensational. Look at the value and age of the players who are keeping him out of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

im not surprised.. he did have an excellent world cup 2002...

I say he will go to Middlesbrough...

<*you never know*.. he could head to celtic or rangers>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

5 million is fair and means he can choose which i for one think he deserves. He will be missed and i feel sorry for him having to lose out to Phil Neville. Neville has been reborn in midfield over the last year.

Good luck Nicky and thanks for the great service over the years! I know he will end up at Boro cause McClaren won't lose out on wages or transfer fees, boro allways get their man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

5 million is fair and means he can choose which i for one think he deserves.

Agreed , I assum the low valuation is reward from United for his years of loyal service as it will allow him seek a decent wage from whoever buys him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Its will be a sad day for him, ManU and Manu fans the day he leaves. I think even more so than becks cause Nicky is a Manchester lad, whereas Becks was a cockney. He is the sort of player Fergie loves. Loyal and dedicated.

I'd say he will sign for Everton or Blackburn since he will still be able to stay local. It will be hard for him to perform well for these clubs though cause I think his heart is with ManU. I hope he does well though wherever he goes.

Advertisement