Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me a small car (1.2l and less)

Options
  • 13-01-2004 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a car soon and want to know what are the cars like on the market.

I'm will to pay up to 9k for one (but realisitic figure is 7-8k)

anybody got opinions on :

Corsa
    Fiesta
    Saxo
    Clio
    Micra
    Yaris
    Fabia
    Golf/Polo

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yaris for sure, though it's dreadfully dull on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Corsa - cramped and ugly on the inside, engine nothing special

Fiesta - don't know, I liked the old one better

Saxo / Clio
    Why go for a French car - style over substance

Micra
    Best value, but no 'image', cheap, nippy, reliable, but ride is a bit wobbly at high speeds on twisty roads, great around town.

Yaris
    Supposedly v. good but v. expensive.

Pretty but they are a Peugeot with implications for reliability. Supposedly cramped inside.

Fabia
    Nice cars, not too many around secondhand. Go for a 16V model if you can.

Golf/Polo
    expensive secondhand. Bulletproof but thirsty.

What are your priorities?
    For all round value i would go for the Micra, or Fabia if I found one at a good price.
    Money no object I would go for a Yaris or Polo
    Image - 206

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

However manky the corsa and 206 are they are the cheapest for insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

lol .. I read the title briefly and thought it said recommend a smell for my car... I was gonna say vanilla! :p

eh .. as for the car - mitsubishi colt

is a golf not expensive to insure?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Couldn't agree more with silverside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

definatly substance rather than style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

saxo, clio and golf are v nice.my fav would be the golf by far

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

the 206 isnt manky and cramped. there's plenty of room inside and a lot more reliable than you think.I have my 3rd now and with the 3 of them I haven't had a single problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Go for a yaris, or a fabia.

Stay away from VWs.
    Seat ibiza is also decent enough as is the fiesta....wouldnt touch a polo with a barge pole to be honest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by KlodaX

eh .. as for the car - mitsubishi colt

I second that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

I must stick out here and say I loved my little Corsa. But my dad had a hire Yaris and it was great, good accleration

yea a colt is a decent suggestion..

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I like this one:

knight%20rider-corgi.jpg

:D
    If you don't have that kinda money tho, I'd begrudgingly recommend the Micra (don't let me get stuck behind you on the way to the train station in the morning tho :mad:). It'll go forever without giving you bother (but can it talk??.. I didn't think so)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Corsa
    You will be able to find loads of these secondhand and for 9000 you will pick up a pretty decent on too. Not the worst car on the Road and are pretty decent to drive. Watch out for ex rental cars cause these are very popular for Rental Companies

Fiesta
    Try for the 1.25i Zetec engine. Its a better option than the standard 1.3. It will cost you a little extra but you should be able to pick up a nice 01 or 02 for that price. As already said I prefer the old model as apposed to the 03 model but then that is a matter of Preference

Saxo
    Avoid like the plague. Ugly and all the rest of the cars you have mentioned are better value and better looking.

Clio
    Nice looking car. You should get a good decent Clio for 8-9K. Try for anything post 01

Micra
    Reliable. Well priced, but oh so boring. With the new model out last year it will make a good bargaing chip for anything pre 03. There should be loads of them around too. Personally I think there a car for Grannies.

Yaris
    Very reliable like all Toyota's. They will be pretty expensive but should hold there value if you intend to sell in 2-3 years.

Be careful here. There a lovely looking car but afety isn't the 206's no 1 priority. If your going to buy one. Try for late 00 on as anti roll bars were not fitted prior to this, resulting in poor handling all round.

Fabia
    Good value buy. Roomy and sturdy. Might be hard to find one on the secondhand market

Golf/Polo
    My personal favourite of all these cars is the POLO. Its very reliable. I prefer the model from 00 to 02. It kinda looks like the golf. May be very expensive though and beware of ones that don't have power steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If ya can afford it then go for a Golf or Polo, if ya cant then a Fiesta or Colt

I have a 01 Fiesta 1.25l Zetec - s lovely nippy car would definatly recommend one, am gettin rid of mine on saturday for a focus though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah so far I reckon a fiesta

as Yaris seem to be quite expensive

and fabia are hard to find

Draffodx - if you're interested in selling pm me with the specs

stay away from polos....heap of ****. that is all.

Originally posted by hussey

Substance over style. Substance costs. The Yaris will still be expensive when you go to sell it on too.

Substance over style. Substance costs. The Yaris will still be expensive when you go to sell it on too.

Thats true but when ya cant afford it ya have to compromise.
    Yeah so far I reckon a fiesta

and fabia are hard to find

Draffodx - if you're interested in selling pm me with the specs

if ya had a talked to me a week ago would have had it for ya, but am trading it in for the Focus, if your looking for a Fiesta then look for a 1.3l Zetec S engine, theres not many around with the S but its a nippy little car, great acceleration.
    go for a zetec if ya cant get the S, had mine for 3 years and never gave me any real trouble, just a few niggly little things.

He'd pick up a Yaris for 7-8k

• Advertisement

true can get a 1999 - 2000 one for around 8k - 9k
    decent spec too

Advertisement