Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If You Wanted To Revamp A Retro Classic...

Options
  • 13-01-2004 12:10pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

...Which would it be!?
    Being an 'extremely minor' games creator (As in I generally using dismal programs to make even more dismal games) I have a tendancy to 'Revamp' classics as opposed to creating my own original products... The current theme being breakout (Which I have had quite a lot of good reports on, and is going VERY well and looking quite nice).

But if you were given the power to revamp or recreated a retro classic or an old game, what would it be!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

3d Commander Keen would be cool. Little Big Adventure 1 with all the 21st centuary graphical mod cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Gods by the Bitmap Brothers. Not the greatest 2d platformer ever, but one of the most beautiful.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

God's... 'Into the Wonderful' was the music track for that wasn't it!?
    I'm mistaking Gods for some other Amiga strategy game I think...
    There's miles worth of Amiga games I'd love to revamp, but I'd require a couple of animators or graphic creators for it seeing as my skills are basically limited to backgrounds and such...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A 3D version of Turrican would be the best thing ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It has to be Ikari Warriors for me, or Kabal(maybe spelt Cabal?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Jip
    It has to be Ikari Warriors for me, or Kabal(maybe spelt Cabal?).

pn03 is a 3d version of either of those games, and yes its Cabal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Mine Sweeper 3d. With mines in a 3d plane, would add that extra level of difficulty.

Or a 3d Dizzy adventure. God I loved those dizzy games. At least the adventure ones. The arcade ones were alright but dizzy down the rapids sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Vassili Zaitsev

if i was to revamp any game it would either be altered beast, bonanza bros or bionic commando a classic this would tear metal gear to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    God's... 'Into the Wonderful' was the music track for that wasn't it!?

You are, in fact, correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [NES Platformer Version] :)
    So many hours of childhood invested ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

Actually they're revamping sam and maz and making a new 3d one yey!

Don't trust them anymore, they may gay-it-all-up like Monkey Island 4 [I would have said monkey island, except 4 was such a disaster, I would rather forget ... only played demo, nearly made me cry though]

Saw Pics, and although still does look as mentally Disturbing as ever :)

Originally posted by Sinnocence
    Don't trust them anymore, they may gay-it-all-up like Monkey Island 4 [I would have said monkey island, except 4 was such a disaster, I would rather forget ... only played demo, nearly made me cry though]
    http://www.lucasarts.com/products/freelancepolice/
    trailer looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it would have to be Elite, which I know (Elite4) is in the pipeline, but I could learn to program and write the game myself quicker than they have been, it's been 'coming soon' for about 5 years now, and I'm gettign mightly p1ssed off that they haven't got at least some decent screenshots to wet our appetites with, and afaik David Braben has gone walkabout and it doesn't look like he'll be coming back.

I know Frontier and First Encounters were not anywhere near as good as they should have been, but by now they should really have come up with something more than the bugger all they have given us fans.

oh well, maybe next year. :rolleyes:

At risk of possibly going off-topic [apologies if am ...]
    Hmm, i dunno - Max doesn't seem as insane as he used to be heh, and not all too sure about voices - I think best revamp done to date was Monkey Island 3, all the voices were perfect, from Guybrush having the most gay voice possible for a pirate [except for the gay pirates during sea battles], murray the demonic skull [favorite character ever in any game], to Elaine ... everything about game perfect I thought ... shame couldn't have another...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I nice update of sentinal (sp?) would be nice...the ps version didnt really do it justice...

Unirally....i have no snes anymore and i miss this most of all

I dont know if Duke nukem is retro...i'll still wait for 3d realms

spy versus spy for the crazy c64 2 player mode...nuff said...

a proper kirby platformer....i was addicted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

streets of rage and golden age *roar*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

golden axe tusky???

Originally posted by SearrarD
    golden axe tusky???
    THAt WOULD BE GREAT!!!

Anyone remember Kid Gloves on Amiga I believe it was :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Vassili Zaitsev

In my opinion the new lord of the rings games are as close to golden axe as u can get. both are insanely playable and pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Frontier in full HW accelerated OpenGl 1.4 graphics, HW 3D sound, and no bugs.
    Possibly MMORPG.

I'd pay per month to play it.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

spy versus spy

Now THAT would be fun...
    I had all of the Spy V Spy games, but the original & second were the best - The third getting a bit too annoying...

Turrican 3D sounds damn interesting...
    They've already stretched Sonic The Hedghog around, so why not stretch 'Zool' - I think it'd be capable of a decent platform game...

Kirby's Adventures on the NES - Despite the overwhelming pink'ness, it was hellishly addictive... I tried creating a new platformer involving the 'ingestion' of enemies but that flopped.

There has to be more classics...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Frontier in full HW accelerated OpenGl 1.4 graphics, HW 3D sound, and no bugs.
    Possibly MMORPG.

I'd pay per month to play it.

www.eve-online.com

has really nice 3d sound but is a dx bitch and whats a mmorpg without bugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I think there should be a remake of flimbo's quest, robocod and jet set willy.......because my commodore doesn't work any more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Originally posted by super_furry
    A 3D version of Turrican would be the best thing ever.

GENIUS!!!! I loved that game so much, spent hours playing it on my poor old Amiga 1500.

Maybe a new Sam&Max or Day Of The Tenticle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Another vote here for Spy vs Spy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A remake of Spy vs Spy is already well underway for the PS2 http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/spyvsspy/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    ...Which would it be!?
    Being an 'extremely minor' games creator (As in I generally using dismal programs to make even more dismal games) I have a tendancy to 'Revamp' classics as opposed to creating my own original products... The current theme being breakout (Which I have had quite a lot of good reports on, and is going VERY well and looking quite nice).

But if you were given the power to revamp or recreated a retro classic or an old game, what would it be!?

and will you be making breakout available?
    its a great game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by fixxxer
    GENIUS!!!! I loved that game so much, spent hours playing it on my poor old Amiga 1500.

Maybe a new Sam&Max or Day Of The Tenticle?

Why remake them?
    There's a sequel to S&M on the way to market afaik.

Advertisement