Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea in for Parker!!!

• 13-01-2004 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/3392493.stm
    Charlton Athletic have dismissed an approach from Chelsea for Scott Parker.

The Addicks made clear that their star midfielder, who won his first England cap against Denmark in November, was not for sale at any price.

Charlton chief executive Peter Varney told the club website: "He is not for sale and we don't welcome the enquiry."

"We sincerely hope that Chelsea will accept our decision in this matter. Parker signed a new contract in the summer and he is vital to us."

The Addicks are fourth in the Premiership, thanks in no small part to the form of the highly-rated 23-year-old.

And it appears that London rivals Chelsea hoped to make Parker a transfer window purchase after suffering a string of injuries in midfield.

Frenchman Emmanuel Petit, Argentine Juan Sebastian Veron and Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff are out of action for the Blues.

And owner Roman Abramovich, who spent £110m on players before the end of August, has indicated that he is prepared to pour more money into the club in January.
    Ranieri would be foolish to buy another central midfielder as they already have too many midfielders and none of them would be satisfied with a place in the bench. I couldn't see Parker going anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Parker will not go in my opinion anyway near Chelsea. They have too many midfielders and i dont think i can see it happening. I think he should stick with Chalrton at least till the end of the season to see how they do and then sit back and watch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I agree with Ronaldo, it would be a bad move for him. Chelsea need a backup defender before they go buying midfielders anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Didn't they try and sign him last season for 4.5mill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Chelsea need a backup defender before they go buying midfielders anyway.

True but Parker is an exceptional player and IMO he would improve on whats available at chelsea. Maybe its time for chelskis January sales to get rid of some of the players that obviously have no future at the club before they buy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

no doubt at all Parker would enhance and add depth to any team but Chelsea is a **** place for him to go. He needs to stay at Charlton till the end of the season then go...I mean Charlton are 4'th. I dont think he would even want to leave Charlton now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Lampard, Makelele, Veron, Geremi, Parker, probably forgetting one or two more,
    I can't see Parker being happy with that squad rotation when he's ruling the roost at Charlton.
    Although from a chelsea point of view an on form rotation of Lamps, Makelele and parker, with duff on the left and someone else on the right would be a pretty sweet midfield

Geremi has not created the form he showed last year and Veron has so I cant see either getting into the team ahead of parker assuming he keeps his form if he moves

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Parker looks like the real deal and would come through the chelsea squad.Even chelski will have to ditch some plyrs soon(petit is 33 odd) and i hope he signs for them.(might keep them away from stevie g for a year or two)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

To be honest to me it looks like a good move for both Parker and Chelsea. The only area they lack cover in is for Makalele the holding/destructive midfielder role they don't really have anyone except Makalele to do that, Parker can play that role exceptionally well for a young player and probably has a bit more going forward than the Claude.

Geremi has proven this season that his best role is as a right wing back I would let him touch the central defmid position with yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

To be honest I think Chelsea's signings have been pretty poor. For a side with money to burn they've bought a lot of average enough players such as Geremi and Cole and perhaps Johnson.

Of all their midfielders I'd only class makelele and duff as world class. Veron was once upon a time about 5 years ago and maybe Lampard can take the step up but thats only a maybe.

Parker is a good player but hes not the type of player they should be going for in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Geremi has not created the form he showed last year and Veron has so I cant see either getting into the team ahead of parker assuming he keeps his form if he moves

I didn't know this till a few days ago but amazingly Geremi is behind Duff with the second highest assists. Sill hasn't produced the form he did at Boro last season.
    I gather we havent heard the end of this Parker story: who would be an excellent signing.
    :)

I didn't know this till a few days ago but amazingly Geremi is behind Duff with the second highest assists. Sill hasn't produced the form he did at Boro last season.

I wouldn,t have thought that either, just goes to show that stats don't give the whole picture . He looked a lot better last year TBH but I suppose he may not have settled yet after his move. I rate Parker very highly and I hope United have made the right choice in going for Miller Instead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Whats this story about CFC making a late move for Saha did anyone else see it?

Whats this story about CFC making a late move for Saha did anyone else see it?

Link

Advertisement