Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 106

Options
  • 13-01-2004 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

I'm very close to buying one at the moment. If anyone has an good/bad storys about em please share..... Its a 97, new shape. 1 L. Well 0954cc. Is there anything i should look out for ?

Thanx:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

i know someone who had a 106.i was a flyer of a car.i like it.its fast and looks good and is nice for a 1L.i havent heard anything wrong about it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

Cheers Sparkite .... looks like no-one has any probs with em.... :)
    Good 4 me!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My brother has one, same year. Not bad, small pedals! Had some trouble at the start with the engine starting, but he had warranty with the dealer so he was alright. See does it have the postman pat horn! (toot toot) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I have a 98 954cc . They are a good car the only things that have gone wrong are that me back box fell off , i have only the quickest speed in me wipers, me tape deck is broke and the spring went in me passenger door latch. There is a lot of speed bumps at the college so that would be the reason for me exhaust falling off.
    I think they are a good wee car to start off with as the insurance is cheap .

How much are you paying for your's as i am thinking of selling mine in a few months and i am wondering what i would get for it.

They wanted 3500 for it, the nct is up on the 01.02.04 So i offered 3000. Now they are going to get the NCT done so we have agreed 3150. The car is spotless, one owner from new. Lady Driver! She's about 30 35ish so i dont think she was a girl racer. Full service history from Main Peugeot dealer. It looks like its a very clean car.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does the fact that the previous owner was a thirtysomething female make a difference to how well the car was looked after? She may have used the car just to go to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by TUTS
    They wanted 3500 for it, the nct is up on the 01.02.04 So i offered 3000. Now they are going to get the NCT done so we have agreed 3150. The car is spotless, one owner from new. Lady Driver! She's about 30 35ish so i dont think she was a girl racer. Full service history from Main Peugeot dealer. It looks like its a very clean car.

:D

When I saw 3500 for a 7 year old 106, I was gonna scream
    When I saw nct due week after next, I was gonna cry

But with a full 2 year nct and full dealer service history (check this - very rare for a 7 year old car in Ireland) and at 3150 it looks like a good enough deal, especially with it having had only one owner. What's the mileage? What warranty are you getting from the dealer? Insist on 3 months minimum

I'm under the impression that you haven't really looked around much yet - correct me if I'm wrong ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I had a 97 1L 106 for a couple of years and it never caused a problem at all. Needed a new back box before I brought it for its first NCT, but TBH I reckon that I damaged it myself going over an unmarked ramp one night. It was a grand nippy little car and pretty comfortable, although if you have big feet the footwell and pedals aren't the biggest. Sold it to my brother and his wife and they're happy pottering about in it for the last 18 months without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

My girlfriend had one, nightmare of a car (well for me anyway) - she loved it.

It's definitely not a blokes car.
    Firstly it's way too small and secondly the pedals are way too close together, you could nearly press all threee pedals at once without noticing it :D

If you are an average size bloke, forget about it.

PS - Oh yeah, the build "quality" is nothing short of disgraceful, but you would expect that from Peugeot. IMO

I've been looking around for anything from 1L to 1.3L for the last 3 1/2 weeks or so.

Swift x 2 £3800 (99), £3500 (98) Very nippy, but i find em a bit 2 light. (A few bad experience's in Swifts & a Starlet ) Eg wall .... wall.... footpath....pole ......wall. I wasnt driving!:p

The Starlet is such a strong car, it really held together for such a big impact. Id recommend one to the pope just for the strength. Cant afford insurance in one though.

Fiesta x 2 £1000 (93), £1800 (95) They're fords.....

Loads of punto's, all over the 3500 3800 mark.

This guy tries to sell me a 95 Rover 216. The door frame was bent back into place from where the car thief had pulled it back. The two keyholes where buggered and under the dash had some dodgy repairs. Started laughing and said no thanks ! For anyone thinking of buying their first car ..... bring somebody who knows a little about cars with ya! Some of the salesmen would try to sell ya the steam off their piss!

A lot of the cars i looked at were 1.34L, which would mean the higher insurance bracket. I only need one for 10 or 11 months, so the 1L is fine. (its like my savings scheme.)Long story.

Anyhows, the 106 is by far the best ive seen over the last few weeks. I think im gonna get it......

oh yeah de mileage is 42000 i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i have one (mk 1) and the pedals are very close together
    this is the main problem with it

otherwise its a fine to drive

the paintwork is also peeling off mine but I don't think this is a general fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

they're not a bad little car..but seriously difficult to drive...if your shoe size is over 3 or 4.

Im a size 12 1/2 in most shoes.......ah aha haahahahah ha

emmmmmm

Im also 6 foot 2 or 3

ha ahahaaa haa ha ah ahahah:D :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I'd definatley recomend taking it for a long test drive before you buy so in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I wouldn't worry about how close the pedals are too much as I found after about a week i got used to them. I drive it with size 9 1/2 steel toe caped boots or size 10 1/2 runners and i have no problems with how close the pedals are when i got used to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭IrishPug106GTi

Tuts:

I am 6' 4", 16st. and have size 11 feet. I a also the proud owner of a '99 Peugeot 106 GTi and I love it. All the cooments have some sort of sense behind them:

1 - Pedals are very close together but you get use to it quite quickly.
    2 - The build quality is woeful. Get a good stereo to drown out the rattles. However, they get their great handling and nimble feel from the fact that they are so light weight.

I love my GTi and have had it from new. It has stood up to some serious abuse and taken it well. As far as I can see, all cars in your price bracket are of similar characteristics, it's purely a matter of taste as to which one you pick.

Advertisement