Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladder Suggestions...

Options
  • 15-03-2000 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Features, quirks, kewl stuff, special rules, anything you wanna see in this, lay it out here!

Nice one wink.gif

Lucutus of Borg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

A web page that is regularly (if not automaticly) updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Ladders will be automatically updated, as soon as you record your result, you can go and check out how it affects your rank and the ranks of others on the ladder.

Lucutus of Borg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

A league we held in UL did the following...

We had one league server. All results on this server were logged. Any matches played on this server were the offical results. There fore there was no need for people to submit result, there was no bikering, no hastle. you played you match on the server, and the admins just processed the logs.

Mind you where this will fall down is in servers. We dont have enough me thinks for this to be viable.

On another point and from the q3 ladder POV, can we have some form of battle/duel/war mod going on the server? I suggest OPS Tourney, v0.7 is out now, and its the business. Admins?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK I didn't post a reply to the original thread. I think a ladder is a good idea but I reakon what creative has suggested is the ideal solution ie have a server side mod/logging facility is the best option.

Gandalf.

Yeah, it's a good idea, for some games, but how do you log a game of gl minesweeper?

With lots of games, it won't be possible to log results and stats serverside. The ladder site is designed to encompass as many different games as possible.

Might be a consideration to run a ladders-only server in future, where the results for the most popular games are automatically logged and processed, meaning the ladder updates immediately with accurate game data. However, hands up who wants to pay for the server!

S|O|L|I|T|A|R|E L|A|D|D|E|R

Players 1/1

Player Rank
    Lucutus 1

Always assured the top place wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and the ladders will consist of what?
    one on one
    4 v 4
    2 v 2
    and in what games?
    qw
    q2
    q3
    ut
    and i like the idea of a purpose server for the ladder
    we can take down that stupid, no use for skillz CA server and put up ladder server instead wink.gif

WWM,
    The ladders will consist of anything you want, the game, what mod, style of play etc. We'll get the best of what everyone wants and do it initially. Over the evolution of the ladders, people can request for new game ladders to be added.

biggrin.gif

Lucutus of Borg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Ya wwman!
    CA 4 EVER!!!!!

hmm, but then you will get about 5million different ladders with 2 people competing against each other on most of them.
    limit the ladders to 'the obvious' and have more 'contestants'
    i mean if me and someone else were in a UT instagib with all the mutators turned on against someone else and i won. could i then claim to be the best in ireland?
    nope.
    unless you sold the idea accross the water and started having people in clans or whatever over their playing in our ladders.
    maybe if word was spread on the barrysworld pages or whatever and maybe the challenge sites and wherever possible to pull in the punters to get a good player base in.
    it doesnt matter that you only play one match a month, but if theres lots of ppl playing 1 match a month then theres still going to be lots f movment on the laders and people love to see how they are doing and will even play more if there is a ladder with 50 people in it as opposed to a ladder with 5 people in it. and 3 of those are in active!
    so, after all that, i guess the point is spread the word throughoiut everywhere smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

So anyway, Shinji you are a clueless ****head.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When are these ladders to to get under way anyway?

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

Ladders will get underway when the site is up smile.gif

I'm currantly redoing some code to make it more generic for the adding of new games.

biggrin.gif

Lucutus of Borg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

sega rally 2 ladders !

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Better to tag a player as HPB/LPB in their profile, that way we can have a single ladder for q3 but hpbs can play lpbs if they like. All you have to do then is look down the list for the top hpb (indicated in some way).

I know a fair few hpbs who are better then some lpbs.

Either way we can do what we want with them. Together or separate, its up to you guys.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Being a lpb in GLminesweeper is a huge advantage, seeing as the netcode is still
    in....

Ah no, i'm all trolled out...

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

and i would have got away woith it too if it wasnt for you pesky...
    bugger.
    wrong board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

Any chance of splitting up the Q3 ladders into hpb and lpb, which contradict DeV's
    idea of mixing both together since Q3 is really dependant on your connex?

<< Arf Arf >>

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

tom im not that **** cool.gif , collies idea of the server side results worked very well here in ul , and now there is sofware to automatically update the site so from your point of view it leads to less hassle updating the site and in general admining

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, but not every game should be a ladder game and in the end you end up with a billion spa names because people dont want to ruin their "rep".

What I'm thinking of is maybe a mod or something that would allow the players to say "Ladder Game" and we'd look for that later in the logs...

However, remember this ladder is for every game not just quake/q3 how are we going to do your trick for SC? UT?

Maybe we could but it's a lot of work for us, if someone wants to write this tho, I'd make sure it was implemented..

Tom.

Advertisement