Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art of Bluffing

Options
  • 13-01-2004 3:42pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have come across a lot of good advice regarding the art of bluffing - i'll try and share some of it with you guys.

Bluffing is an important element to poker and one that every player should have a grasp of. However, more often that not players misuse it and it can become more of a tell than a weapon. Using the bluf wisely is important and those who cannot use it wisely shouldn't use it at all.

There are two types of bluff - the semi-bluff and the all out bluff. Although similar they are very different. The semi-bluff is where you bet on the 'come' i.e. bluffing to what you hold but still have a chance to make a hand if called - this can be used anywhere except on the end (when all the cards are out - obviously). The full bluff is the most notable and it is where you have no hand and will lose if called.

If an opponent knows you do not bluff then they are more inclined to steal some pots off you. If they know that you over bluff then they are more inclined to call you and subsequently win the pot. The trick is to bluff the right amount of times so that your opponent cannot easily tell when you are doing it.

So what is the right amount of times - how can you mix up the times you bluff to ensure that it is your opponent who is likely to lose out? Well the answer to this question lies in the type of game you are in and the type of opponents. The % available to bluff will be determined by these factors. A very loose game = no bluffing opportunities - a very tight game = loads of opportunity. It is the ability to recognise this that makes the very good player able to adapt their game.

One of the best methods to ensuring that opponents find it hard to determine whether you are bluffing is to introduce a random factor that influences whether you bluff or not.

The simplest way of doing this is to add a few 'outs' to your hand - pick 2 or 3 cards that although do not give you a makable hand will initiate a bluff. For example, lets say you have AQ and the board is 9 10 6 2 - you have 6 outs to catch top pair (3 A's and 3 Q's) - to intorduce a random bluffing element you could also decide to bet if a J comes up - this gives you 4 more outs. From your opponents perspective it may look like you have paired the J and they may fold - a successful bluff. To make this play truely random you should decide on the 'bluffing outs' beforehand so that you are less predictable.

Of course all bluffing is a risk and you should never continue if you bluff induces a raise. Of course there is also the bluff raise but thats another story.

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

One thing I noticed about the Fitzwilliam was that after the buy-in period ended, and everyone got a bit more cagey with their chips there seemed to be quite a few more 'all-ins' and big bets after the flop.

This could have been due to the big blinds and people needing to make a move to try and stay in the game but I got the feeling that several times it was an attempt to steal the blinds by representing something that the flop threw up.

One time I had 73o in my hand, the flop threw up 335 iirc, I kicked myself and then watched as someone fired in half their chips after maybe 4 people saw the blind without any raises. Its possible they had a three or maybe A5 in their hand but it smelt of a bluff to steal the blinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Looking back I think I got the ass bluffed off me by your mate Gav at the poker last thursday.

He's good isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

what about the 'keep more players in the game bluff' (not sure of correct term?) - ie. when holding a good hand in the hole and trying to increase the chips in the pot by checking/calling before the flop and indeed up to the river (so as not to scare away players with a raise)

Eg. I hold AA in the hole and am pretty confident of winning the round but don't want to scare away players by putting in a big raise before the flop. then if the community cards are favourable, by the time it comes to the river, there are prolly more chips in the pot than if i had raised at an earlier stage. also opponent(s) may think i have paired a high card on the table at best (because i have simply being checking or calling up till then). then you go in with a big raise.

the catch in this particular example of course (AA in the hole), is someone winning the hand by the backdoor, eg. completing a straight or a flush by chance due to favourable (for them) community cards but you can watch out for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Slow playing like that will get you into trouble imo. By letting more players into the hand the likelyness of being out-drawn will have greatly increased. Furthermore even if the board is pointing towards a flush or a straight, players find it difficult to lay down an AA because they feel like they are destined to win the hand. If you get AA my advice would always to put in a decent bet and hope that another player has found a hand they like. In this senario they may go over the top leaving you sitting pretty for a call. The amount of times I've seen players slow-play Aces and lose the hand is incredable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Got to be one of the oldest arguements in the book. How to play Aces in the hole.
    I think it depends on the situation.
    My general strategy in a normal game when my stack is average is as Davey Devil said. I think you need to raise 2 to 3 times the big blind and reduce your callers at least. Then another big bet on the flop.
    If your stack is low or very large then I would recommend slow playing them or only making a small raise. If your stack is small you need to take advantage of getting the Aces to increase your stack. Conversely with a large stack you can afford to risk some chips on taking the whole pot.
    Last thursday was a good example for me. I had 1800 chips left with the blinds at 200-400. I raised to 800 (double the big blind) and got a few callers. Then I went all-in and got beaten by trip 5. I had to try though to increase my stack. Aces dont come along too often and you could just watch your stack fade away if you dont take risks.
    By the way I am talking about tournaments here. Strategy varies between cash games and tournaments but as I only really play tournaments thats where I'm coming from.
    Don't get sidetracked from the topic though. Random bluffing is a very strong tool. It's basic game theory being used to your advantage. From a tourney point of view though I would rarely bluff with an all-in. Just a large enough bet to make players fold. Bluffing depends on the likelyhood of the opponent folding so you need to suspect the opponents are ready to put down their cards. A common bluff might be in last position with 2 rounds of checks to you. A good time to take the pot. Obviously no one else wants it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Originally posted by DapperGent
    He's good isn't he?

Funny I always beat him - lol.

He is good and understands a lot about the game - interesting how he gets on at the €250

Hyzepher

Advertisement