Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paddy joke

• 13-01-2004 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

>An Englishman an Irishman and a Scotsman were in a pub,talking
    about
    > >> their
    > >> >sons.
    > >> >My son was born on St George's Day," commented the Englishman.
    "So
    > >we
    > >> >obviously decided to call him George."
    > >> >"That's a real coincidence," remarked the Scot. "My son was born
    on
    > >St
    > >> >Andrew's Day, so obviously we decided to call him Andrew."
    > >> >"That's incredible, what a coincidence," said the
    Irishman."Exactly
    > >the
    > >> >same
    > >> >thing happened with my son Pancake."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭SuperStudent

Racist joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

he's right, there was a argument with links to legislation in a thread, paddy irishman jokes are in fact racist. you made a boo-boo :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

wat if they were paddy scotsman jokes?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

As someone born in scotland i find them offensive too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Well I liked it, some people just need to lighten up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Surely the name "Humour" given to this board should stop people taking things to seriously. We're mostly Irish here and if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

Good joke too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

It's not as if its true or anything trying to make Irish look like fools, its only a joke, lighten up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

As An Intelligent And Upstanding Irish Citizien I Find Such Jokes, Which You Refer To As "Paddy" Jokes Extremely Boorish And Offensive... It Is My Wish That They Be Banned From Boards Due To The Element Of Humour I Do Not See In Said Joke.

Also I Shall Be Campaigning In March For All Jokes Of Said Nature To Be Banned, I Shall Attack This Issue With A Shock And Awe Approach, Please Support "Ban Paddy Jokes" In The Future.

Funky, I edited out the refences to Paddy20 as it was not a nice thing that you did. You could have falsely given the impression that this quote was attributed to Paddy20. Please do not do this type of thing again

Bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by Funky
    [Paddy20]It Is My Wish That They Be Banned From Boards Due To The Element Of Humour I Do Not See In Said Joke.

I see the humour in it, mainly cause I have a sense of humour and think that making every thing pc is the worst thing that could be done. I wonder if you are also against the air you can't see around you, I mean why not ban that?
    Originally posted by Funky
    Also I Shall Be Campaigning In March For All Jokes Of Said Nature To Be Banned, I Shall Attack This Issue With A Shock And Awe Approach, Please Support "Ban Paddy Jokes" In The Future.

In other words you have to much free time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

anyone see Daragh O'Briain on "have I got news for you" when he commented on that joke (which apparently Willaim Hague had cracked at some Political Do).
    His response was something along the lines of:
    Ireland is a Catholic Country, there it's called Shrove Tuesday. We'ed definetly call it pancake because that's what You'd call it over here.

The 4 guests/contestants were stunned to silence. I thought it was hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Funky,

Just what the hell do you think you are playing at ?..

Your post starting with " [Paddy20] " clearly- deliberately - gives the impression that you are quoting me. This is unacceptable and I suggest you post an apology for misleading other people. I never uttered those words either verbally or in writing anywhere.

Your post is in very poor taste, and is unwarranted.

P.:ninja: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

"It's not as if its true or anything trying to make Irish look like fools, its only a joke, lighten up!"

C'Mon were Irish and i totally agree with Civilian_Target

Look at at the forum name forgods sake

dwayneburke,

Stop being so self-righteous. If your name was Paddy in real life, as mine is. .
    Then I might listen to your viewpoint. If you want to know what I think about " Paddy the Irishman 'Jokes' ? " click on this thread;- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131291

P.:ninja:

God I hope your trolling Paddy20. By the way, your the one being self righteous, not Dwayneburke in case you hadn't noticed. He's being complacent, laid back, and a few other things, but not self righteous.

Its a joke, its in the name of the thread, you don't like it, don't read it.

TheSonofBattles,

No. I am not trolling. You obviously have not clicked on the link to the last thread on this issue on this forum in the post above.

I am deadly serious. "Paddy the Irishman Jokes", are Racist & therefore 'illegal' throughout the European Union.

Try asking a Solicitor if you do not believe me. I can not be any fairer than that, can I ?..

Pfft, I could care less if they're legal or illegal, i'll tell them if I want. Besides which, I wasn't arguing if they were legal or not.

Answer me this, if something is meant to be funny, if people (sane people) do laugh at it, and its said in a humourous place, how can it be racist? Everyone that hears it knows the teller has nothing against said people (in this case he's one of said people ffs) so, where is the racism?

In the mind of uptight, self righteous eejits who want to make everything politically correct and safe in the belief that that'll make the world a better place, when in fact its this bull**** attitude that's highlighting the differance's and thus making them worse rather than better. Congrats, great job your doing.

If you want to break the law. You will have to answer in a Court of Law. As many Brits found to their dismay since 1976, when the Race Relations Acts were first introduced.

Best of luck. I hope you are wealthy.

P.

:ninja:

Besides the fact that you didn't answer my question (which means you probably don't have an answer for it tbh) I have to say i'd be prepared to go to jail and fight for my right to say these kinda jokes to be honest, since it's that particular law is a load of horsecock.

If I do happen to go to court about it, I hope there's loads of people like you around so that they can see the idiocy of there belief in political correctness.

I personally did not introduce the Race Relations Acts or their more recent updates which now include all Ethnic minority or Race type ethnic origin " Jokes".

If you end up sitting comfortably in a prison cell, scratching your head, then 'think' who is the real "eejit" [your word]?... WoaHaHaaaaHeHee :D

Still unable to answer my question I see. Seems your just campaigning for no real reason then tbh.

As for when I'm in a jail cell, I think you mean If to be honest. But leaving that aside, I won't be thinking i'm an eejit, I'll be lamenting that sad state off the world, and also making money by releasing my story to the press. Then i'll lay in the free bed, eat free meals and sleep through most of whatever small sentance in whatever low key prison I get. Then get out, more relaxed (both physically, and possibly anally as well :D ) and probably a bit richer through the morons at the press tbh.

• Advertisement

I hope for your sake you do not end up in a British jail cell or prison. As you might then learn the hard way why these types of so called Racist jokes were originally criminalised.

BTW; The jail sentance can be up to seven [7] years for this offence. Some "small sentance " Eh

P.:ninja::D

Yea, that's England, this last time I looked was Ireland. I can double check if you want though.

Edit: Still unable to answer the question? Why the hell are you campaigning it as rascist if you can't even answer that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

It's ONLY a joke!!! There are more important things to be worrying about!!!

:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

off topic anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

kharnrofl.jpg

dwayneburke speaketh the truth, but the ignorant masses do not heed his cry, and so it will come to pass that the incredulous morons shall be cast into the furnace to provide heat and energy for the enlightened of Boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

i agree with Civilian_Target.there are not many jokes out there that dont insult someone.a joke is not meant to insult,it is meant to make someone laugh and cheet up our drone mondane lives!! i think that if one is the type that cant take a joke then perhaps they shouldnt be reading the humour section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Paddy20 - these jokes are not illegal here, so your points are not valid. Any legal references you refer to here are all British and we are not under British jurisdiction.

While you may take offence at these jokes from a personal point (and I do acknowledge your right to be offended) I have tried to get as much information on this area as possible, and so far, nothing leads me to the conclusion that these jokes are racist. They are using stereotypical carricatures, and as such fall under the general remit of humour, albeit in a very tongue in cheek way. Lets not read too much into them - who better to tell an paddy irishman joke than an irishman ?

Thread locked - lets not have these arguments again

Bio

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement