Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The other sort of quacks

Options
  • 13-01-2004 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Every Tuesday, I get a "SCOPE Alert" on my mobile phone from RTE's science programme, Scope. Here is today's:
    A ducks quack doesnt echo. More great science on SCOPE 2nite @ 7pm RTE Network 2
    (The lack of punctuation is RTE's.)
    I thought the show itself was bad enough. I watched the first episode - it had less science than ten minutes' worth of Fair City. And it portrayed Robert Boyle as a fumbling moron with a thick Cork accent. Truly miserable.

But the line about ducks takes the biscuit. Even if the brain trust behind SCOPE were not immediately struck by the sheer implausibility of the claim, a quick check on the Internet would have enlightened them:

From the excellent Snopes site

We can't entirely blame RTE's education department here. SCOPE is part of a government-backed national effort to promote science. We won't be expecting a huge improvement in scientific literacy over the next few years then.

Advertisement