Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the score on Dixons stores?

Options
  • 13-01-2004 5:19pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/51/34812.html

Not too sure if right forum but
    Dixons, the UK's dominant computer and electronics retailer, is "making little or no money" and is expected to shut up to half of its 329 high street stores.

At any rate, that's what retail analyst Tony Shiret of CSFB is telling The Observer. He reckons that the cost to Dixons for its high street presence is up to 15 per cent more expensive per square foot than Next, the clothes retailer, yet margins are 20 per cent lower, due to electronic goods price wars.

Tougher competition from supermarket chains, falling income from warranties, and upcoming rate and rent reviews are all putting the squeeze on Dixons high street performance, The Observer says.

Dixons says Shiret's analysis is "speculation". The company is currently trialling a bigger retail format, called Dixons XL in four city locations.

The group also owns PC World, and The Link, the mobile phone retailer. It publishes financial results on Wednesday, Jan 14.

But bound to have a knock on effect here if it pans out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Good Riddens! I always advise people never to buy anything from Dixons.I once bought a Philips video recorder from them and it broke down after about three months.It was under warranty so I brought it back to them.They told me they'd have to investigate the problem first and when I went back they said they could do nothing for me as there was water in it. Whether there was or there wasn't water I thought they still could have given me a replacement as I only had it a few months.
    They didn't so I thought "Sod Ye,I'll take my business elsewhere!" I bought my next machine at the Sony Shop and since then have always told people never to buy in Dixons!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by PWEI
    Whether there was or there wasn't water I thought they still could have given me a replacement as I only had it a few months.

Erm, I don't think any warranty would cover you for spilling water into a television....

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I kind of doubt your warranty with the manufacturer would cover accidental damage. Did you take out their extended warranty (dixons?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I bought my next machine at the Sony Shop and since then have always told people never to buy in Dixons!!

I don't for a moment suggest Dixons is usually the best but they do sometimes have extrordinary bargains if you look carefully.

For example, I bought my camcorder (DCR-TRV245) for €449 when it was about €599 everywhere else including the Sony Centre in the Jervis Centre. I actually saw it on SALE today for €649 in DID electric :rolleyes:

ALWAYS shop around. No retailer (web or high-street) is either cheapest or dearest all the time.

Regarding the main topic, I would guess margins are slightly better here in ripoff Ireland :( so I don't expect any imminent closures

Erm, I don't think any warranty would cover you for spilling water into a television....

Erm,I didn't spill water on my television or my video recorder for that matter.
    My point is even if this there was water in the video (and I kinda doubt there was)
    it wouldn't have killed them to replace it as I only had it a couple of months.It was only a €100 video,i'm sure there are other stores out there would have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Koyaanisqatsi

Dixons/Currys are good outlets. They really shake up the Irish electrical stores and force them to drop prices.
    Example:
    A complete bargain is the Philips 749 DVD recorder for €399 in the January sales.
    Its €599 in Brown Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Genghis

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
    Dixons/Currys are good outlets.

.... so long as you know what you want, and what it should cost before you go in. If you simply step inside and look for assistance, then the best you can hope for is that the product you need is also the one with the best commission.

I fear for anyone who goes in to buy a technical product (like a PC) without any real feel for what they need and how far different products can go to meet that need, etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I always tell people never to go near Dixon's. They have the worst and most incompetent customer service I have ever experienced. I wont bore you with the chapter and verse but just one 'small' example involved a 'manager' offering me a video recorder as a replacement for cd burner (hi fi type now!) and when I exploded in rage he told me Oh sorry I just looked at the colour of the box!!!! And there's lots more to go with that. Not to mention the pressure they put on people to buy warranties!

yea they always put pressure on the customer to buy warranties but then when the goods are damaged they don't want to replace them!!
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

yea they always put pressure on the customer to buy warranties but then when the goods are damaged they don't want to replace them!!
    :mad:

Never buy a Dixons Warranty , here is Why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

AFAIK Dixons, Currys, Argos, PC World

They are all the same group. They can even query in Dixons for you if an item is availavble in Currys on their terminals - practically the same shop.

They are more expensive than the same stores in NI and UK(due they say to increased labour costs), but they are very welcome here - remember Peats before there was any competition.

They have replaced items for me with no bother at all. Once, a Hayes isdn modem as it didnt work with my computer (dual pentium system) - wasnt their fault - but never a question asked.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are you sure about Argos ??
    As I've always thought them to be reputible and resonably priced.
    How many Mastercare employees does it take to provide good customer service?
    Unknown, since it's never been tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sprogman

Example:
    A complete bargain is the Philips 749 DVD recorder for €399 in the January sales.
    Its €599 in Brown Thomas.
    Who buys any electrial goods in BT ? Thats why it was €200 dearer - nothing to do with Rip Off Ireland... just BT
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

The "water damaged" excuse seems to have become very popular of late (especially with new mobile phones that never worked out of the box, or that work but are faulty), notably because this implies cause. People are being adviced to go to the small claims court over it.

PWEI I bought a phillips video from Dixons, about E100 too, think it lasted about 14 months. I did get it repaired (somewhere else) and it lasted another 2 months before it couldn't rewind anymore (unless on shuttle - imagine how long that would take). Subsequently I heard that they'd really shoddy motors. Not saying all phillips, but seemed to be a problem with a number of them. So I guess that's water damage then.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by dazberry
    The "water damaged" excuse seems to have become very popular of late (especially with new mobile phones that never worked out of the box, or that work but are faulty), notably because this implies cause. People are being adviced to go to the small claims court over it.

D.

Jerry Ryan did a report on the small claims court about two weeks ago. Water Damaged Mobile phones are currently the most popular thing to be brought to small claims court -but apparently no-claimers wins these cases. Water damage happens mostly apparently with folk dropping them down the toilet - and its very easily proven. Waranty is (fairly in my opinion) void if you do this.

All is not lost though - I dropped my phone leaning over a bath - dohh! - it wouldnt work anymore.
    I took it completly appart (removed display and keyboard from circuit board etc) and dried it with a hair dryer and it worked fine again. Water is no problem if you get it all off quick.
    I knew someone who used to wash his pc keyboard in the dishwasher....

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

water damage - in a lot of cases the phone will work for a while but won't be quite right..

Used to work in a Dairy and everyone had white coats, and all the top pockets were sewn up, in case anyone looked into the one of the vats (Before that one of the lads had a scientific calcluator, <plop !> )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by ozmo
    AFAIK Dixons, Currys, Argos, PC World

They are all the same group. They can even query in Dixons for you if an item is availavble in Currys on their terminals - practically the same shop.

They are more expensive than the same stores in NI and UK(due they say to increased labour costs), but they are very welcome here - remember Peats before there was any competition.

They have replaced items for me with no bother at all. Once, a Hayes isdn modem as it didnt work with my computer (dual pentium system) - wasnt their fault - but never a question asked.

Dixons Currys and PC World are all part of the Dixons group. Goods can often be priced differently in each shop.
    Argos is a completely seperate company.

In my experience they are all very expensive in Ireland compared to their UK prices. Most items I have compared were between 35-80% more expensive here. In most cases other Irish retailers have better prices also. There were stores other than Peats before Dixons came along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sprogman

Rip Off Ireland strikes again.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Jeez, I'm reading stuff about BT and Sony Centres. People only buy stuff in there so they brag about it...

Bought 3 items in Dixons/Currys over the past couple of years. All 3 items broke down and Currys was a real pain to get any service out of.

IMHO, can't beat DID on price and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by sprogman
    Rip Off Ireland strikes again.... :rolleyes:

I think you mean consumer indifference strikes again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

In my experience, they are ok insofar as they have a decent range of products at average prices. When things go wrong though, they are complete ****. PC World in Blanchardstown in particular..... it took them 3 months to repair my laptop, the manager is ALWAYS either at a meeting or just left (he/she will phone you first thing in the morning Zzzz).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

I'll be keeping away from them after reading this

Ray

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Tommy Vercetti
    PC World in Blanchardstown in particular..... it took them 3 months to repair my laptop, the manager is ALWAYS either at a meeting or just left (he/she will phone you first thing in the morning Zzzz).

Have to bring a Laptop back to them too. Dreading how long it's gonna take to get it back.

Originally posted by LFCFan
    Have to bring a Laptop back to them too. Dreading how long it's gonna take to get it back.

My Faulty Laptop Has Gone Missing. - By Joanne Phipps
    http://www.djmurphy.demon.co.uk/joanne.htm

Don't forget what happend to Gary Glitter :D

Advertisement