Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Line Question

• 13-01-2004 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

It may seem like a straightforward question ... but if i have no phone in my house (that meaning that there IS a physical line there, but i pay Eircom squat and it's completely inactive) is it possible for me to get an IOL / Eircom ADSL package wihtout havinge to pay for the line rental?

i've always wondered this ... if i dont use the line for a phone, do i pay rental on it?

Mind you it doesnt really matter to me, I have IOL BB at home anyway, but i've always wondered how Eircom works when it happens like this ....

Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah you do.

Line rental is "the cost of providing the line" arseology. So in order to have DSL over it, they would have to provide the line, and therefore charge you rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

well if youre on one of the Esat business exchanges you can get your line hooked up for business broadband. That means no phone calls on the line as it's data only but the monthly cost is prohibitive for the majority of users. Better off just taking the plunge and contacting eircom to get connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

coolabula .. just out of interest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

If you went for the Esat business option (and lived near enough one of their exchanges), am I right that the monthly cost is just the €90 per month (assuming you go for the 512/256 option) for an uncapped service with twice the upload speed of the "home" option?

Which compares to the "home" (IOLBB) package of €49 + €24(soon!) Eircom line rental for a 512/128 service with CAP?

I have no use for voice calls on the landline (except incoming and I could live without that!) and it's upsetting to pay Eircom for a BB service from IOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

I have no use for voice calls on the landline (except incoming and I could live without that!)

i know what you mean, i hate answering the phone (girlfriends parents mostly), and only ring people for a few seconds to arrange which pub to meet up in, so the mobile would work out cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by BigMoose
    If you went for the Esat business option (and lived near enough one of their exchanges), am I right that the monthly cost is just the €90 per month (assuming you go for the 512/256 option) for an uncapped service with twice the upload speed of the "home" option?
    €90 plus VAT, afaik. So it's exactly twice the price of the RADSL offering, if you can get ESAT to sell it to you.

As for the line rental, I don't think anyone has actually confirmed that they've got the "unbundled" option at that price, and I don't think you'll find anything about it on ESATs website.

Advertisement