Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper Ear Piercing

Options
  • 13-01-2004 9:30pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got mine done on Saturday, and I got a ring put in. I'm spritzing it 3 times a day with the spray SAvlon stuff, but when I go to turn the ring, it hurts like hell. Is this normal? How long will it be so sensitive for? And how long till it heals/ I can change it? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

I could be wrong ,but i was always told not to use stuff like savlon, as it makes the piercing too clean, and takes longer to heal. Just was it out with soapy water, or get some cleaning solution for one of the piercing shops.

Or you could be lying on it while you sleep, which can damage it more.

It will hurt for a few days like it does with any new piercing. Also its best you leave it in for a few months to make sure it is completely healed before taking it out.

Plus most of this you should have asked the person who did the piercing for you. Unless it with a d.i.y. job.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭coldenmean

i agree with tcd about the savlon thing.. hes right.. it kills all the bacteria not just the bad stuff so it takes longer for it to heal.... the thing i found to be the most reliable is warm salty water... bout a small teaspoon to a cup or mug... and used boiled water...
    thats always usually sorted mine out pretty well and it costs practically nothin!
    also the lyin on it in bed thing.. thats a killer with the ear piercings! just fluff those pillows a bit more ;)
    and its gonna have that sharp pain when you turn the ring until it stops scabbing around the hole...
    give it a couple o weeks and chill out...
    (unless you got it in g's arcade.... in that case run straight to A&E heheh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

You shouldn't really turn it at all cos it'll just irritate it more. sea salt and boiled water is what i've always used and it works best. it is normal for it still to hurt aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Salt and warm water for the first few months, always keep it clean(duh), dont play with it and you`ll be able to sleep ok

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

So is it a definate no about the Savlon? Because I'm fairly sure my piercer mentioned using it, and I've seen friends of mine using it on other piercings. But thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Wheeler

when i got my eyebrow pierced i was told to use the savlon spray.used it for a while but it was impossible to rotate it or anything...i recommend just using the savlon bout once or twice a week before you go to bed and just was it out with water the rest of the time....i ended up getting my ring out with a wire cutters..oow

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Well its just that the savlon does keep it clean, but its keeps it TOO clean. You need a little bactiera (spelling?) to help it heal quicker is all, and the savlon gets rid if any, so its keeps ot clean but takes a bit longer to heal. But the salty warm water is a good way of keepin it clean.

Okay, maybe I'll mix all the advice, and use the Savlon a few times a day, and warm salty water the rest of the time. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭coldenmean

Originally posted by Faith
    Okay, maybe I'll mix all the advice, and use the Savlon a few times a day, and warm salty water the rest of the time. Thanks!

eh? you dont really mean usin savlon just a few times a day do you?!! if so then thats why its so fùckin sore!!! piercings usually only need cleaning twice a day... ive always been told and heard that time and time again... twice only, no more or youll irritate it, no less because you still need to keep it quite clean...
    hope that was just some sorta type o you did there!

Whoops, yeah, that was a major typo! I meant use Savlon a few times a week, not a day. If nothing else, I'm too lazy to clean my piercing more than twice a day, not to mention too busy to remember. But its okay now. It's not really sore anymore, and I can rotate it completely. I was just panicing at the start because it's been years since I got anything pierced, and I couldn't remember what it was like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement