Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limping in with AA

Options
  • 13-01-2004 9:31pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This was mentioned on another thread so I decided it was important enough to have one of its own.

Some people like to slowplay AA to try and maximise the pot - their is nothing wrong with maximising the pot as one of the fundamental rules of good poker is to max the money won while reducing the money lost. However, the arch enemy of AA is the flush or straight draw, and generally these start out being nothing more than average hands. Hands that will most likely lay down when confronted with a suitable raise.

The hands you want to see call are other pairs or any two under cards - these are big underdogs to AA.

Lets have a look at both sides of the equation.

Limping In (Calling pre-flop)
    Here we are hoping that alot of players will also call and increase the pot - assuming you get a favourable flop, this will work as long as you place a large raise before the turn. However, the flop is the most important part of hold'em - 3 cards are displayed at once and can have a big impact on a hand. You are giving the other players a big opportunity in making a hand to beat AA. But if it comes off you can win a larger pot.

Raise Pre-flop
    When you raise pre-flop you are hoping to get those players with marginal hands to lay down - in doing so you can then (normally) better read your opponent for having a strong starting hand - this is an advantage for AA. The downside is that you may force everyone off the hand and end up winning a small pot.

In my opinion playing AA has a lot to do with position. In fact position is probably the most important aspect of how to play AA. If you are in early position then everyone after you will be reacting to your call/raise. If you raise not only are you giving the maximum players the ability to fold but they will be looking to you to start the betting on each subsequent round. In early position I would sandbag (check/raise) - to do this you must be sure that someone will raise after you - hopefully in late position. If they do, not only will you get more money in the pot but you will be reacting to them and this is an advantage. They will also more than likely put additional money in the pot assuming that they have you beat.

In Late position I would 100% raise - the average hands should already be in and a raise will hopefully get them out - leaving the high starting hands for you to prey over.

Remember that it is better to win a small pot then to lose a large one.

In context - AA requires other players to hit at least 2 cards (1 if they also hold a pair). When holding AA the hand should be played so that it is over before the turn card - either by all folding or all-in - never check or call after the flop unless the board is paired.

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

some very valuable advice there Hyzepher, cheers for the tips which make sense. i guess i tended to slow play this hand up to the river, and yes it can turn nasty if the flop comes out for example all suited, or a pair in the flop.

in the instance of poor flop (flop suited, part of a straight or pair in the flop), if someone raised before you i guess the move to make would be to fold ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Originally posted by jArgHA
    in the instance of poor flop (flop suited, part of a straight or pair in the flop), if someone raised before you i guess the move to make would be to fold ?

Depends - remember for a flush or straight they need 3 cards so if the flop is unconnected or only 2 suited then they are ona draw (looking for another card), a reraise might be the answer - make it expensive to take the chance on getting that card.

If the flop is paired then you need to work out the odds of then having the set. They might only have a smaller pair in the hole or have paired up the other card on the flop.

On a flop with no pair, flush or straight draw then they might be betting on having top pair - good kicker - or they may have a pocket pair also - either way you are winning.

I suppose you need to be aware that AA is not unbeatable. Once you realise this then you can react to how the hand plays out - remember never be afraid to lay down AA - after all its only you that will know.

Hyzepher

Advertisement