Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test Eircom Phone Line ?

Options
  • 13-01-2004 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Does anyone know how to test a phone line with a multimeter . And what setting on it should i use and what reading should i expect . ?

Thanx

Al

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

not good enough.

How far away are you, how many extensions on the line etc.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eircomic

How far away from the phone out let on the wall its only a few feet away . there's too extions in the house and i'm about 15 miles away from the phone exchange

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by eircomic
    i'm about 15 miles away from the phone exchange
    Really? Whereabouts do you live? My area is about four miles from the exchange, and the phone lines are made of baling twine and chewing gum - I dread to think what yours are like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

You are doomed then !

M

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I remember from another post,Eirconomic, that you are using the Castlrea exchange,This Eircom PDF File , shows the local area and the smaller sub exchanges in that area.

You should be able to see your "local" exchange which would be closer than 15 miles from you.

The quality of the line declines the further away you are from the local exchange, not the main area one.

The worst I have seen in my area is average speed of about 22kpbs at the very end of the local exchange line (4.5 miles)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Does anyone know how to test a phone line with a multimeter . And what setting on it should i use and what reading should i expect . ?

Do you just want to find out if the line/extension is working ?

Set the multimeter to Volts DC at a range that includes 50V. I am about 1 mile from my exchange here in Swords and I get about 49 volts with all phones disconnected/plugged out. As Muck points out this is not an indication of line quality merely a way of determining that your line is active !

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eircomic

I really want to see the quality of my phone line and if as i think its the reason that i have such a back connection . I emailed Eircom and explaned every thing sent them a log of my modem and every thing .

They told me they don't supply support over the email to ring the help line at 74c a min . Even though i am on eircom any time at 30 euro a month they wouldn't help .

So i want too see if i can test the line any way my self

Al

Advertisement