Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fsb question!

• 13-01-2004 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

O.K...built a new computer and I'm a bit confused about the whole FSB thing.

I have an epox 8rda3+ motherboard which supports up too 400fsb ram. I'm using pc2700(333fsb) myself.

The cpu is an athlon with a 333mhz bus SOOoooo....everything should be ok compatibity wise right?

What I'm confused about is the jumper on the motherboard only allows you to set the fsb to a max of 200mhz....Could someone explain this to me?

Also, on the boot up screen it displays the right cpu and the right amount of memory but at the wrong fsb(133 mhz I think). I've tried messing around with the multiplier in bios but I must be doing something wrong.

Anyway...if anyone could explain more clearly all this fsb stuff and how to get my ram going at 333mhz I'd be eternally greatful.

Spanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

howdy

right i think you might be a bit confused by the whole dual thing with athlon processors and also ddr (double data rate ram).

If you have a 333mhz processor and 333mhz ram they run at 166mhz but the athlon doubles the 166 to 333 and the ram is double data rate so it doubles the 166 to 333mhz.

similar to obtain support for a 200mhz processor on your motherboard you have to do something to the jumper that you mentioned. this would allow to support a 200mhz fsb processor and 200*2 mhz = 400mhz pc3200 ram.

ok if you have a 333mhz athlon and pc2700 (333mhz) ram then in your motherboard both your ram and your processor should be running at this frequency or 166mhz (before you multiple by 2 for the ddr)

so check in your bios and make sure you fsb is running at 166mhz and then your should be fine also put the multiplier back to the default value unless you know what your doing.

good luck and hope this is somewhat clear

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

As Dataisgod has hit the nail on the head here there's not much to say but to back him up, change your fsb in your bios to 166mhz and it will read your processor model correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Cheers Dataisgod, it all makes sense now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

no problem hope it works out

data

Advertisement