Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S-ATA 7200 RPM drives

• 13-01-2004 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

I am curious as to whats the difference in performance between a S-ATA 7200 RPM drive and an IDE 7200 RPM drive, seeing as the drive spins at exactly the same speen. Is there even a performance gain present? And is it worth the extra 10 euro you spend on it.

(on a side note how well does windows xp / recent abit springdale chipsets cope with 160 GB hdd's?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

ata drives have a data transfer rate of 133mbps while s-ata drives have a transfer rate of 150mbps, not a huge difference, but I like my s-ata drive, also leaves you room for adding extra drives as your s-ata drive does not take up the ide slots.

no idea about the compatablitiy with abit springdale chipsets. google for the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

There is no difference; present drives can't saturate ATA-133 let alone S-ATA 150 - the fact that they could transfer at 150MB/s doesn't mean they actually can :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I'll happily pay e10 more so I don't have to fiddle with master/slave settings and IDE devices not playing well with each other, and having a nicer cable for them.

About bloody time there was a nice alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

the cables are so thin, they are quite cool, will increase air circulation :) hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Umm yes the cabling stuff is good enough reason for me too. They look so nice and neat compared to the old IDE cables, almost cute!.

• Advertisement
Advertisement