Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17" LCD for games and DVD's

• 14-01-2004 3:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions? You guys havent let me down before so why stop now? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Posted about this before and ill post it again the Hyundai Q17 as came out tops in tom's hardware review here .

you can get it from overclockers at about €500 with a no dead pixel policy :) , though thank god didn't have to use it .

I've found it excellent overall well worth the money considering what is being charged for the crap over here.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Actually in the latest review didn't the Hercules PV 920 Pro DVi come out on top? I"m not sure, relatively, how it compares to the Q17 as it's not in the same article.

Having said that, if you've actually got a Q17 and it works great than that's the main thing :) The Hercules one, iirc, was somewhere around 700€ and difficult to find, but i was looking a while back.

[conclusion page]

[update page on Q17]

Scratch that...i looked at overclockers - the Hercules including shipping and VAT it costs 548 € The Q17 is only 3 pounds more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

That hercules looks really good actually.
    The 20ms panel allows to display up to 100 frames per second without any ghosting effect!

This is what Hercules say about it.

Doesnt a radeon 9800 pro get over 100fps though therefore causing ghosting at this level? or am i just well misunderstood?

No clue .. maybe chopster can tell us if he ever experiences ghosting over a certain frame rate with the Q17?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Off hand not sure exactly what frame rate i'm running at but i would say close to the 100 mark , and that is running fps shooters like Halo,Unreal 2, etc.Do not notice any ghosting whatsoever .

One thing to note is that the herc is built from the same lcd panel as the Q17 so there shouldn't be much (if any) of a difference performance wise.Personally i'm not into the looks of the herc preferred the Q17 . As a bonus there are in built speakers , though if you are a gamer i'm sure you would have better quality ones already , plus there are 2 usb ports in the base as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You CAN'T see ghosting at 100Hz/s+ the human eye perceives it as a still picture; there is no point in going beyond 100Hz refresh rate because we cannot detect any diffrence. Ever notice the WideScreen TV selling at 100Hz refresh? - that's all they need.

Does anyone in town actually stock either of these monitors?

Originally posted by jedidjab79
    Does anyone in town actually stock either of these monitors?
    Do NOT buy anything from brick and mortar stores in Eire if it costs any serious amount of money; a very good rule to stick by is to do your shopping online first and compare the prices you get there to a B&M shop practically 99% of the time the net wins hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Do not accept anything other than a 16ms TFT

Well 20ms is OK actually; if I were you I'd wait until 17" screens with max res of 1600*1200 come out and reach rational prices levels, do you really need a new screen?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Darwin

The Hitachi CML174SXW is a corking screen. I've had one for the past year
    and can vouch for its performance in games and movies. It's also been given a great review on TomsHardware and in games magazine PC Zone. I got mine from the UK (dabs.com), a bit pricey but worth it.

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Well 20ms is OK actually; if I were you I'd wait until 17" screens with max res of 1600*1200 come out and reach rational prices levels, do you really need a new screen?.

Hmm that's a good point; tbh 1280x1024 has always seemed low to me on a 17" lcd (19" monitor equivalent right?) I mean, my laptop does 1400x1050 and I find that fits a decent amount of code on the screen.

Having said that; could you (or anyone else) recommend a good as-small-as-possible 17" CRT in the meantime? It really is a quandry; I have _no_ screen now, so I need to buy something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Heres a good selection,

Im using the LG Flatron L1710B, I will never go back to CRT!!!!!!!!!!!

LCD/TFT Monitors

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Heres some good ones as well.

Hitachi TFT Monitors

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

joepc those ones afaik are **** for games etc...

anyone any word on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

if you want to use it for games then you NEED (ILL EMPHASISE THE WORD NEED HERE) it to be ATLEAST sub <20ms response time

http://www.benq-eu.com/Products/LCD/index.cfm?product=182&page=specifications
    is the monitor i have and it has been excellent so far, read the OCUK forums as alot of gamers talk on there about the TFT monitors and this one came recommended from quite a good few of them really

i went for that one on overclockers which has been ace so far, here is link -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_TFT_Monitors_112.html

its the 2nd one down on list, i would highly recommend this for gaming after using it for the past month or so...

but do NOT get a TFT that is not sub 20 for games or you will have wasted your money.

[edit = also noticed you wanted to use it for dvds, i watch dvd's on my one and has also been great for it so far]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Here's my one...

http://www.benq-eu.com/Products/LCD/index.cfm?product=287

Damn fine monitor, cost be about €550 from dabs last year, but well worth it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    The 20ms panel allows to display up to 100 frames per second without any ghosting effect!

That doesn't make any sense. For a 20ms lcd, the most fps you're going to get is 1000ms/20ms = 50 fps. 16ms lcd 1000/16 = 62.5fps

And for absolutely no ghosting at all for any lcd monitor, switch on vsync, hey presto no ghosting! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

as i sed, dont accept anything less than a 16ms monitor

Advertisement