Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

African Nations Cup

• 14-01-2004 11:26am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought it would be interesting to hear any opinions about the African Nations Cup - specifically in relation to its timing and how it will effect some clubs due to players missing etc. Most of the big clubs have cover but some of the smaller clubs are going to struggle - is it fair to put such a risk onto clubs?

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think Its bad news for the clubs that are losing important players at this time of the season. Their loss could have serious consequences for the clubs involved. That said I am looking forward to TV coverage of the event. The More live footy on TV the better

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I was thinking that maybe there is a chance to kill two birds with one stone. If UEFA organised a winter break for European Leagues - something that is under discussion - to coincide with the Africian Nations Cup (or vica versa) - maybe the problem would have less impact

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Isn't this something that African players have in their contracts usually though?
    As in the club would agree to release them to play in African Nations, or else they'd agree dates or a number of international matchs per year that the player could travel to.
    Bit short-sighted if they don't.

They probably do but I think if it is left to go on then clubs may not want to sign African players and this will hurt African football. Either the players will not be getting high class club football or the better players will not play internationals

Do to the power of european football the African Fottball asscoiation needs to take the lead on this and come up with a comprimise rather than issuing threats - apparently they have contacted FIFA to try and invoke the 14 day rule.

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I am looking forwatd to Tv coverage of teh event

what channel is it on. i cant remember if it was BBC or Eurosport that had it last time. or even if both channels showed it

• Advertisement

BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it should have been held in the summer. They were talking about the heat, but the 2010 world cup is gonna be in Africa, so if they can't play in summer, when exactly were they gonna host the world cup ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A lot of Pundits are mentioning the heat as the reason why its not staged at the same time as the Euro Champs but that is nonsense. Most of these players were born and rared in Africa so would be used to the heat, Ireland were in Japan and the US for a few weeks and they had to run their arses off in the scorchin heat for 90 minutes.

what channel is it on.

As Hyzepher said the BBC are covering the tournament. Not too sure how many Live matches or highlights thought. Does anyone know the planned schedule?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

There is talk of moving it to the summer but unlike the European Championships , i think the African nations is run every two years. So to ask any national side to line a team out for the World Cup and African Nations in the same summer on World cup years would be asking alot of players and clubs would be giving out as players will get injured or be tired after these games and not able to take part in pre season and the start of the campaign. Unless Its switched to once every four years i reckon the format will remain the same , i know its tough on teams to loose key players but lets face it , nobody gets relegated in January , the players will be back to help their clubs in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Does anyone know the planned schedule?

BBC Three will be showing the matches
    BBC Two will be showing highlights

full listings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

from those listings Nigeria v South Africa stands out the most. Senegal v Mali should also be good as there is a few premiership player for Senegal and Kanoute for Mali.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

anybody remember the last african nations cup!
    the ball did cross the line!! it was probably rigged
    im not going to tune in until the knockout stages
    i dont exacly fancy watching Burkina Faso v Ghana or DR Congo v Togo:dunno:

BBC Three will be showing the matches

Thanks , Will have to get fiddeling with the other channels menu on the old Sky digibox so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I think a lot of clubs (or at least a couple of years ago) had to release players so that the players would fulfil their international caps ratio so that their work permits could be renewed. Don't know if these rules still apply however.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

Originally posted by jank
    anybody remember the last african nations cup!
    the ball did cross the line!! it was probably rigged

it happens ever African Nations cup. in one of teh previous finals (Cameroon vs. Nigeria) babayaro's penalty smacked the cross bar went down over hte line and bounced out. the linesman (they're all useless at penos, remember Korea/Japan) didn't spot it going over the line (by at least a foot, i might add), and didn't award the goal. Nigeria then lost the penalty shoot out 5-4. bollox eh?
    what's even more bollox is the lack of Eurosport on Ntl now. i hope Ntl crash and burn ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

I think a lot of clubs (or at least a couple of years ago) had to release players so that the players would fulfil their international caps ratio so that their work permits could be renewed. Don't know if these rules still apply however

I think it still applies in major leagues when signing players but Holland/Germany seem to have more relaxed regimes.Also I think players are 'assimilated' after 3 years in European leagues now to get around it.

Advertisement