Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Broadband

• 14-01-2004 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hopefully somebody can help me with this, since last Friday my Eircom BB has been down. I'm only getting a connection speed of 10.0 kbps (not even enough for a webpage). I've checked everything, the modem is fine, the phoneline is fine and i even rang the 1550 support number but they could not help at all. I actually don't know what to do at this stage...HELP!

Anyone have any idea's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

have you exceeded your cap for this month? It sounds as if they have throttled your connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    have you exceeded your cap for this month? It sounds as if they have throttled your connection.
    AFAIK they don't throttle connections.
    dubmick, where are you seeing the 10kbps?
    Are you using an ethernet modem by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭dubmick

No, I am using a netopia usb

oh..and I am seeing that on the connection status

Originally posted by dubmick
    No, I am using a netopia usb
    Where are you seeing the 10kbps? (edit: just saw the other reply, is that in the Local Area Connection status?)

Try downloading a file from somewhere like heanet.ie and see what the transfer rates are from there.

• Advertisement

Frank, my connection is so slow that I can't even access a webpage. My connection is 10.0 kbps, bottom right of taskbar, connection status. We have the dsl over 5 months and there has been no problems.

Frank, my connection is so slow that I can't even access a webpage. My connection is 10.0 kbps, bottom right of taskbar, connection status. We have the dsl over 5 months and there has been no problems.
    That sounds like you're connected to the modem via ethernet, that's not your actual connection speed.
    Can you do any diagnostics from the modem itself? e.g ping/traceroute?
    Can you ping anything on the net from your PC?
    Do webpages load at all? Do any other internet applications work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    AFAIK they don't throttle connections.
    That's what we would have said about ESAT/IOLBB this time last month.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    That's what we would have said about ESAT/IOLBB this time last month.
    True, but it sounds like his connection is dead altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

thats exactly why i mentioned it.

So, could you tell us if you have exceeded the cap or not? That;d rule out at least 1 possibliity

• Advertisement

Nah, it's definitely USB, I don't even have ethernet connection.
    I can't connect to the net, or ping. Guy from rip off Eircom said one of my ports might be blocked?

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    So, could you tell us if you have exceeded the cap or not? That;d rule out at least 1 possibliity
    I'd imagine they would have told him when he called them if that was the case.

dubmick, can you tell if the modem is connected at all? Is it synching up even?

Yep, modem is connected perfectley, synching up too.

Yep, modem is connected perfectley, synching up too.
    If it's not connecting like you said in your last post you should really get onto Eircom again about, I assume you've checked the settings, reinstalled the drivers etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭mobby

I have had this problem before. Ring eircom get them to check if you show up as been logged on, have them disconnect you, and then try again to connect should be ok> The guy in eircom told me this happens sometimes that you never get logged over after a previous connection ,they are lost as to why it happens but he sorted it out in about 10 sec

Regards

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭oneweb

Apologies, wrong number ;)!

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Try disconnecting any firewalls you may have running and try viewing a webpage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Originally posted by mobby
    I have had this problem before. Ring eircom get them to check if you show up as been logged on, have them disconnect you, and then try again to connect should be ok> The guy in eircom told me this happens sometimes that you never get logged over after a previous connection ,they are lost as to why it happens but he sorted it out in about 10 sec

Regards

M

had the same problem last friday, thought it was my end of things and re-set up the router and then just direct connected to the modem but still no joy , rang eircom on the saturday to find i was not loged out :dunno:

Advertisement