Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Keyboard question!

• 14-01-2004 1:11pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a bit of trouble with the keyboard on my laptop. While typing every now and again the key doesn't register so the letter doesn't get typed. This happens quite ofter and is really annoying as I have to stop typing and fix the problem. Has anyone seen this before and if so is there a way to remedy it without having to bring it in to the shop. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Could just be dirty?

Don't be afraid to take out some screws and clean under the keyboard.

You might prefer not to open it up if its still under warranty, as this normally makes the warranty void.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

thought of that alright but it's bought from PC World and they are fcukers when if comes to warranties and use any excuse to get out of fixing it. Think I might just ring them and see what they say. Should get a good laugh out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

pc world are the best. I brought my DELL to them. Asked if he could fit a new heatsink i bought. Did it there on the spot. Free of charge!

The limerick branch BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Asked if he could fit a new heatsink i bought. Did it there on the spot. Free of charge!

That is very rare..............

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what model laptop is it and what's the key (or keys) that are sticking?

i have a dell latitude and they are notorious for the left hand side ctrl key not working reliably, and that's exactly the problem i have.

i've had it apart and cleaned it thoughly but it's still the same. seems to be quite common though, but the only solution is a new keyboard.

if it's something stuck under a key (crisps or what not) you could try running the hose of your vacuum (gently) over the keys and seeing if you can suck out whatever is causing the problem.

make sure it's off and that you are very gentle with it and it might do the trick.

also try turning the laptop upside down and shaking it gently (again, very gently, and it's all at your own risk remember) and then repeat the vacuuming process again.

if that doesn't work then it's likely to be a hardware problem, and if it is get them to replace the keyboard under warranty, but i'd arrange a time to take it in and have them do it on the spot so you can make sure they aren't messing with it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by vibe666
    what model laptop is it and what's the key (or keys) that are sticking?

It's an Advent 7027 and it's no keys in particular. It's random which means it's more likely a harware or software issue than a dirt issue. Plus it's brand new and was like this since I got it

Wonder could it be a Keyboard buffer problem? Could be fixed with a driver update???

get them to replace the keyboard under warranty, but i'd arrange a time to take it in and have them do it on the spot so you can make sure they aren't messing with it.

you must be kidding. The PC World in Blanch are useless. I brought one in before 'cause the battery wasn't charging and it took them 6 weeks to figure out that it was the battery that was faulty and they wouldn't replace it under warranty. Muppets. If I ask them to have a keyboard ready to fit when I bring it in they'll tell me they need to asses the problem first. I think I'll have to resign myself to losing the laptop for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I bought a card reader for my camera in PC World in Clondalkin, brought it home and the card wouldn't fit; brought card reader, camera and my old card reader back and wailed "the card won't fit".

"That's because you bought the wrong kind of reader," the guy on the information desk explained gently, while cancelling my payment and taking it back without question, despite the fact that it was now effectively ruined, since I'd had to cut the plastic packaging open to get it out.

I actually then went and bought a new camera instead of the reader, so they made a good profit on me - but they didn't know I was going to do that.

I was impressed with their customer care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by luckat
    brought card reader, camera and my old card reader back and wailed "the card won't fit".
    I was impressed with their customer care.
    That's cause they wanted the wailing to stop:D.....

Originally posted by luckat

Maybe it's just the Blanch branch that are uselss and customer unfriendly

Advertisement