Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem With The Majority of Games

Options
  • 14-01-2004 1:56pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

It's got to be something to do with my system - I've never had this problem before, and I doubt it's something to do with the game requirements...

Basically, the majority of games I've installed since I've formatted my PC, will play once, maybe twice, and then either shut down and never run again unless I re-install them again, or will work perfectly until I shut down the computer and reboot, with which they'll never work until re-installed once again...

I'm pretty sure I *MAY* have a virus, seeing as it has something to do with specific files being edited (At least it was the case for Gothic 2)

In the case of Gothic 2 I would install the game, and then make a copy of the system folder and make it read only, so that when the damn game ****s up, I'd copy the copy and overwrite the original system folder with it, thus resotirng the possibly edited files, and the game would work fine again for about 4 or 5 goes with which even the COPY method fails...

They worked fine before the reformat... And now, some of them wont even work AT ALL!

Is there any free (and hopefully small) virus checkers avaliable?
    Has anyone else had a similar problem with games?
    Modifiable games such as HL/CS/TFC - BattleField and other such games seem to always work perfectly...

I doubt it's a problem with my Specs or hardware seeing as they've been working perfectly and always exceed the requirements... It's the fact that they USED to work fine thats annoying me.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Only game i ever had this problem with was Hearts of Iron, but that was riddled with bugs from the start. Anything else has been fine.

Maybe damaged sectors on your hard drive?

Try http://www.download.com

they have free virus checkers and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Thanks guys, but being in a net_cafe I'll have to try and get someone to D/L & Burn it for me. As for Online Virus Checkers, well, same applies - I can't exactly scan my PC from a Net Cafe (They should work on something like that) :D

Anyhow, big thanks to ya - Will hopefully sort this problem out pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ropey check yer PM'S :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Hehe thanks mate...
    Now that I'm back to work it looks like I can sit down and discuss the recovery of my net_access and will be able to sort myself out after a while.
    I think a whole new PC is in order... I'm just annoyed that it only effects specific games where as others work perfectly grand... No need to go any further with this anyway, so cheers to anyone who gave some suggestions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement