Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Discussion on Liveline (now with mp3 link)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Capistrano, that BT link is from 1997!!!! (The last time I checked, BT was something like €18 a month, but currency fluctuations have pushed that down since then).

Well spotted! are the current prices Here, which I canculate works out as €15.20 per month incl. VAT(£32.59pq).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Did anyone heaar jeo reply to the one about returning the eircom phones ?

"Shure most of them would be in shi , in an awful state by now"

Wexfordman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Did anyone capture this to post it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You mean the audio?

Its here -
    http://www.rte.ie/rams/radio/latest/rte-liveline.smil

edit. No its not, they'll have it up later today.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Originally posted by mike65
    You mean the audio?

Its here -
    http://www.rte.ie/rams/radio/latest/rte-liveline.smil

Mike.

Not yet but it should be online before the day is out.

Valentia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This excact subject was on NewsTalk 106 yesterday and David McRedmond from Eircom said that there is a low user scheme which will reduce the price of the line. He said you can find out about it on Eircom.ie, anyone heard about this???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    This excact subject was on NewsTalk 106 yesterday and David McRedmond from Eircom said that there is a low user scheme which will reduce the price of the line. He said you can find out about it on Eircom.ie, anyone heard about this???
    It's called the "Vulnerable User Scheme" and it costs €22.50. Yup, that right, it costs exactly the same as ordinary line rental. The diference is that they get €5 of "free calls". (That's about an hour and a halfs worth of daytime local calls per month, at an effective rate of 22c per minute).

If you use more than €5 of calls, you pay twice the ordinary call rate, untill you're back up to €11 worth of calls, at which point the rate drops back down to the ordinary rate.

It'll come as little surprise that only 400 users (out of 1.6 million phone lines) have opted for this sick joke. Even oreillycom are too embarrassed to publicise it, and you won't find any reference to it on theyr website, no matter what Fibber McRedmond says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

wow, i thought i heard it all
    /mind boggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Ripwave
    It's called the "Vulnerable User Scheme" and it costs €22.50. Yup, that right, it costs exactly the same as ordinary line rental. The diference is that they get €5 of "free calls". (That's about an hour and a halfs worth of daytime local calls per month, at an effective rate of 22c per minute).

If you use more than €5 of calls, you pay twice the ordinary call rate, untill you're back up to €11 worth of calls, at which point the rate drops back down to the ordinary rate.

It'll come as little surprise that only 400 users (out of 1.6 million phone lines) have opted for this sick joke. Even oreillycom are too embarrassed to publicise it, and you won't find any reference to it on theyr website, no matter what Fibber McRedmond says.
    I'd absolutely love to get my hands on that McRedmond fella, every time I hear him he makes my head boil. He never stopped mentionibg this "vulnerable user" scheme on Newstalk making it out to be a great service.
    AAHHHHHHH :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by capistrano
    Well spotted! are the current prices Here, which I canculate works out as €15.20 per month incl. VAT(£32.59pq).
    Those are wholesale rates.

BT have a range of options, starting from £9.50 (including a call allowance of £2.15) up to £28.50 with free local calls.

For the £9.50 deal, BT charges more for local calls than oreillycom.

(BT use the same braindead session crap as eircom do on their site, so I can give a direct link. But if you go to www.bt.co.uk and click on Site Search, and use line rental as the serach query, you'll find those numbers.

Choice is the key ingredient that's missing for irish consumers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

They give some with the left and take more with the right...

pressreleases.jpg

From eircom site.

viking

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I'd absolutely love to get my hands on that McRedmond fella, every time I hear him he makes my head boil. He never stopped mentionibg this "vulnerable user" scheme on Newstalk making it out to be a great service.
    AAHHHHHHH :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Well, when you contact NewsTalk to complain about this, feel free to quote me.

The full description of this "scheme" is on the ComReg site http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0348.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Nice to see the masses vent their fury. We need more of this - people need to be reminded that they're being ripped off every month -> so that the politicians/comreg/etc get grief about it ->pressurising them into doing something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i recorded it on the Sky earlier and am listening to it now. Mr COMREG got a nice welcome

"waste of space" :D

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    i recorded it on the Sky earlier and am listening to it now. Mr COMREG got a nice welcome

"waste of space" :D
    It would have been hard to tell that he didn't work for oreillycom until the discussion got around to returning handsets. He was the one who suggested that "eircom delivered it, they can come and collect it".

If you're like that guy in Cork who's still paying "comfort rental" because he couldn't find an office in Cork that would take his old handset back, make sure you get on to ComReg about it!!!

(I don't think that they guy knew that you can just call 1901 and tell them to cancel it, you don't have to cancel it in person).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

14th January 2004

John Doherty
    Commission for Communications Regulation
    Block DEF, Abbey Court
    Irish Life Centre
    Lower Abbey Street
    Dublin 1

Dear John,

You’re not off to a good start, are you? I listened to the discussion you took part in on RTE's Liveline today and although I was impressed with some of the things you said - encouraging Eircom customers to cancel/dispose of Eircom CPE, for example - I actually found myself laughing out loud at some of your answers on the key issue, another price rise in Eircom’s line rental fee.

Your suggestion that LLU and wholesale line provisioning will answer a lot of these problems, for example, is entirely disingenuous. Unbundling on the data channel has been available for some time now, yet EsatBT has been the only operator in a position to take advantage of it; and even then only with massive subsidies from the Government to fund it. The same will happen with wholesale lines if you’re as weak as Etain on price.

And then there’s the suggestion that these hikes are needed to pay for the upkeep of Eircom’s network, when you know better than I that Eircom will do anything in its power to avoid ploughing back profits. Those Eircom vans now have one engineer in them, not two, and although redundancies needed to be made, even with redundancy packages it’s still a massive cost saving. Among many.

I don’t think you’re a stupid man, I don’t think Eircom are pulling the wool over your eyes. However the fact remains that Eircom has nothing in its sights bar cashing in as quickly as possible and handing over to the next in line to the trough. It’s possible that the next in line will find themselves holding a shiny lump of pyrite, but you’ll have to deal with the ramifications of that too.

So please, drop the defensive posturing, drop the misleading quarterly reports, drop the bargaining, stop taking excuses and accepting missed deadlines, and stand up to them. Force them to drop their wholesale prices, not by bargaining but by bullying. Fine them for not responding to directives on time. And if you feel you don’t have the power, get it, by all means necessary.

But for God’s sake stop making excuses for them. They already have a barefaced liar on staff in the shape of David McRedmond, they don’t need you to help them along.

Yours sincerely,
    Adam Beecher

Heres a link to an mp3 I made of part of the programme today, it includes the now famous milk carton comment!

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/437a97cf/bc/audio/Liveline+1.mp3.mp3?bfjcYBAB6tM1TFFa (2.1mb)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I cant believe noone else mentioned "Heres 2 minutes of silence so we may weep for the state of the nation". I shìt myself laughing in work at that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I cant believe noone else mentioned "Heres 2 minutes of silence so we may weep for the state of the nation". I shìt myself laughing in work at that :)

You just beat me to it. I nearly choked on my tea. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Don't think that link is working Mike...

viking

• Advertisement

Originally posted by viking
    Don't think that link is working Mike...

viking

Cheers I'm trying to get a link working right now...F*ck it! :mad: Cos its not a jpg file I cant use public access.
    Only those who have yahoo accounts and tell me what they're user name is can have access.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

http://www.rte.ie/audio/liveline.ra

You can right click over the link and select save as, and save to your computer to listen to it at your own pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

Sorry you do not need to right click the link just click it and the file will be downloaded to a temporary folder on your pc and it will start to play automatically then.

In the original website the right click option is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Thanks for that. Definitely a very warm welcome :-)

Send it to me, I'll stick it up on the IrelandOffline site.

adam AT beecher DOT net

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Chatting to an interesting person today who works for BT : Norn Iron.

Apparently he has 1mb DSL for about 0„520 Sterling a month (pardon me if figure is wrong). By March this year 100% of NI will be DSL enabled. Every home should have the capability to have phoneline based BB.

Apparently BT has its own internal team to verify that customers are told only the truth about anything they are signing up to and they must also point out their competitors products before a customer can sign up for a BT product. This has been inspired to some extent by 0„527 Million in fines last year.

One other point that was mentioned was how many of Comregs staff used to work for Eircom or have been employed by Eircom in the past?? Would this possibly explain their utter lack of any desire to do anything about the situation in this country? Or is this just paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Comregs staff used to work for Eircom or have been employed by Eircom in the past??

nope that would explain it alright

shin

MP3 of the show, thanks mike65.

http://irelandoffline.org/media/mp3/Liveline-140104.mp3

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Limey

Really good show, well done Joe Duffy, sounded like one of us today, good man, now the revolution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Good show. A lot of people will be a lot more educated about whats going on as a result. Eircom will need to find some warehouse space for all the telephone instruments that will be returned in the next few days :D

Advertisement