Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu fsb > mobo = ok?

• 14-01-2004 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

hi all,

having a prob with a system atm, and i suspect the prob to be with the cpu. this is the motherboard but what i want to know is this. i can get a lend of 3ghz p4 800fsb to test in this board, but this board has a max fsb of 533. the chip wont blow up or anything, and will the motherboard just run the chip @533, basically will this chip run ok in this board to allow me to test.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

There was a thread not so long ago that was about something like this and if I remember properly.....no it wont work, I may be wrong but I think you will need a 533 p4....am I wrong?. Try it anyway - what could possibly go wrong? </ducks>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Should work, the maybe a problem with the hyper threading, not to sure dho, it will run but not a 3Ghz maybe 1.9Ghz somewhere around that mark.

Whats the problem your having?

Thanks joePC........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

OfflerCrocGod: yea, i read that thread, but no one seemed sure, apart from joePC.

joePC: cheers man, i went ahead and tested with the 3ghz..... she runs, it was the cpu. least i know now. could be worse

just for info's sake the p4 runs perfectly @ 3ghz/w HT and 533 fsb :)

re: the problem im having, its here but uve already tried to help. cheers joe

thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

how can it possibly run at full 3ghz when the fsb is 33% less!?

Thats a nice achievement.

another quick question or 2 if i may:

the end purpose of this box that im putting together is under the tv to serve as a dvd,div-x,MAME,mp3 kinda box. nothing too taxing

so now i know my processor is kaput im looking for the cheapest socket 478 processor to do the job(ie a celeron). below are the choices ive come up with. now i know theres not a major price difference between the differant speeds but what i want to know is, is there any point in me spending more on a faster chip, will it ever be used or will i ever see a difference.

1,7 ghz: peats 68

2 ghz komplett €58.08 + 15(del) = 73.08
    peats 76

2.4 ghz komplett 70.87 + 15(del) = 85.87
    it direct 92.93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    how can it possibly run at full 3ghz when the fsb is 33% less!?

Thats a nice achievement.
    Nope it's not; it's perfectely normal on the AMD platforms, but when someone asked about it in realtion to the p4 ppl came and said "it can't be done", I was quiet rightly astonished and to me it showed the greed of Intel. Now of course I learn it works no prob just like I had originally supposed:rolleyes:. Motto: Dont believe everything you read here. Celerons are crap - the increase in clockspeed gives a minimal increase in performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

just for info's sake the p4 runs perfectly @ 3ghz/w HT and 533 fsb

Ahh now you have me confused :) , how can it do both?? Run at 3ghz and use a 533mhz FSB?? Am not that famular with intels so bear with me here !!

Does that mean the intel is able to change its multiplier depending on FSB??
    Or is your board actually able to run with the higher FSB??
    Or have i just read this totally wrong :rolleyes: (quite possible)??

well there is a chance im wrong, as i was more interested in the fact that it booted at all, and i only tested it once. ill check it again tonight if i get a chance or over weekend but im fairly certain it was 3ghz.

anywho, has anyone got an opinion on my celeron question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    has anyone got an opinion on my celeron question?

Celeron's suck, but if you're only going to use the pc as a glorified jukebox, then it should be fine I guess.

Originally posted by moridin
    Celeron's suck, but if you're only going to use the pc as a glorified jukebox, then it should be fine I guess.

yea i know there a bit muck but a celeron should easily handle what i want this box to do id imagine. do you reckon theres any point in me spending anything extra to go for a 2.4ghz as opposed to a 1.7?

will i see ANY diff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I'd get the 2Ghz one, it's only €8 more expensive than the 1.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Nope it's not; it's perfectely normal on the AMD platforms, but when someone asked about it in realtion to the p4 ppl came and said "it can't be done", I was quiet rightly astonished and to me it showed the greed of Intel. Now of course I learn it works no prob just like I had originally supposed:rolleyes:. Motto: Dont believe everything you read here. Celerons are crap - the increase in clockspeed gives a minimal increase in performance.

I was under the impression that the P4 mentioned here was of the 800mhz FSB variety, and i was also under the impression that P4's are multiplier locked.

Heres some quick calculations...
    The P4 running on its 800mhz FSB will reach a clock speed of 3.0ghz ( i believe) which means a multiplier of 15x.

The exact same chip running on a board with max FSB of 533 will run at a max of 2ghz. 33% less, as the board's fsb is 33% less. So, if the board ran the chip at 3ghz, using a multiplier locked cpu, it is a miracle.

Now back to the main topic, avoid a celeron unless you absolutely have to get it, they do provide inferior performance compared to p3's/p4's. By the sounds of it you can get a proper pentium for slightly more than the celeron, so get it.

As for speed, its just a glorified jukebox. A pentium 1ghz would easily be able to perform those tasks. So theres absolutly no need to go splashing out more money on a 2.4ghz. For the purposes of being a jukebox i presume even a celeron would do. But, check what optimizations mame has for pentiums as compared to celerons. You may find that mame would run slower on a celeron. (i'm not 100% sure if celerons contain the same enhanced instruction sets etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,650 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Ahh now you have me confused :) , how can it do both?? Run at 3ghz and use a 533mhz FSB?? Am not that famular with intels so bear with me here !!

Does that mean the intel is able to change its multiplier depending on FSB??
    Or is your board actually able to run with the higher FSB??
    Or have i just read this totally wrong :rolleyes: (quite possible)??

A P4 3000 800 FSB cpu in a 533 FSB motherboard would run at:

15 (locked multiplier) * 533/4 = 2GHZ

The same cpu in a 800 FSB motherboard would run at:

15 (locked multiplier) * 800/4 = 3GHZ

Simple mathematics :)

Crossed posts Mutant_Fruit :)
    Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    By the sounds of it you can get a proper pentium for slightly more than the celeron, so get it

Yeah would suggest this also - remember you might want to use the machine for something else later on or resell here on boards ;)

could you guys suggest a place i might pick up a cheap p4, the cheapest ive come across so far is about double (€150) what im gonna pay for the celeron 2ghz. dont wanna spend this much.

It is a bit of a difference new alright and at €150 for a P4 2.4 533FSB I don't think it's great value. Maybe you can pick up an early socket 478 cpu second hand somewhere?

If you want to do this as cheaply as possible, go for the cheapest 478 cpu you can get - there's no way around it. Another consideration is to sell your mobo and go cheapo amd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey for cheap processors how about Here , its an american site....... $12 shipping, cheap CPU's, only thing is you have to use PayPal........... worth a try mabye??

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Hey for cheap processors how about Here , its an american site....... $12 shipping, cheap CPU's, only thing is you have to use PayPal........... worth a try mabye??

thanks for the link COL_LOKI, but the cheapest p4 they have is $133, which leaves me with a celeron and their cewlerons arent that much cheaper than komplett , and i think id prefer to get it a little more local in case theres a prob with it. thanks tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

http://www.jjcomputers.ie

They're based in drogheda and you'll have to call to see what prices and stock they have atm. Worth a try.

Advertisement