Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Xp home edition

Options
  • 14-01-2004 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

hi Guy & ladys

Is it possible to get xp home edition to log on to a domain server on a network
    with out having to up grade to xp pro.

Cheers
    Joeface

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Yes and No....

According to MS it is not possible, there are a few tools available on the net to modify your XP home to login to a domain but i could never get them working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Joeface

OK Thanks,

any chance you still have links I can download them from

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget that NT4 workstation could be turned into Server with a few reg tweaks until they "fixed" it with a service pack.

While windows 95 can logon to a domain (run login script etc) XP home has had this functionallity disabled for marketing reasons.

you could put a short cut to the login script batch file in the startup group eg: one liner to run the script if you can see it on the LAN
    if exist \\server\netlogon\script.bat  \\server\netlogon\script.bat

Powertoys 1.0 supposedly had a fix - but it got pulled and at this stage I'm convinced that some of the windowsupdates stop other workarounds. So if you do find a fix it might not be permenant.

Advertisement