Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q3L Finals.

Options
  • 21-03-2000 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Was talkin to a few lads about the Q3L Finals.

Jedi has decided to have them over the net, which is his call, as he is running the league.

I just want to know what people think. Personally, I think we should play the Finals on a LAN. The main reason being that granted, its generally better to play games in a league over the net, as people cant constantly meet up. But now its down to the last four teams, its to see which team is the best at the moment, and to keep it all on a level ground, we should play it on a lan. Look at H, for example, a team of excellent players, who dial in from bleedin Waterford on a collossal ping, and its a credit to them that they got this far.
    The LPB/HPB rule is fine for during a big league and all that, but when its down to the crunch, with 4 teams left, I think it should be on a LAN. Like I said, its about which team is the best, not who has the faster modem, or who is sitting on a T1, especially when there is a few quid riding on it all. That's my opinion anyhoo, let me know what ppl think.

Zero.

"Is this some white kunntz joke that black kunntz don't get? Coz I'm not fukking laughing, NIKKOLAS!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

afaik, BiO wouldn't be able to field a team here (In Ireland), if it was to go to a LAN, (Assuming of course that we beat H in the semi playoff, perhaps we will, IF we can get a whole fúckin' team out!).

Being the one of the HPB's in BiO, I'd welcome it, with open arms, but I don't think we can field a team @ a LAN here. *shrug*.

Lucutus of Borg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Predator

well id have to say net
    basically most of our lads cant do lan atm , some of us doing exams and meandy is in scotland so i dunno what his stand on comin to eire to play a lan game is.
    Another point is that yes the irish qw scene did die after the iqcl lan
    the reason because it took so long after the ending of the league to play the finals at the lan that no new compos got started cos everyone was waiting for the lan event.Another point would be while we all have same advantage on lan we still all have the same disadvantages on net.
    Yeve all played qw and im sure if u cant frag someone with 30 -250 ping what chance do u have on a lan?
    G
    comence *****ing smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Predator

that word stared out is B I T C H I N G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

well if the finals ARENT on a lan, maybe the restrictions could be lifted on LPBs. Like I already said, when it comes down to the top four, there shouldnt be crippled teams in there. I'm not just spouting from a se7en point of view, I'm actually thinking more of Hurlin, coz they havent a hope with their connections, and they have got this far. PS too, ye played deadly on the lan, but if theres a bad server on the day, all the modemers could be done in. Unless there is a very good reason not to play it on a lan, i think we should, maybe not for 7 vs DK as DK are more net-based, but any other teams can easily organise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

We should definitely play the finals on a LAN for one reason - the best team will win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭walt

Yo!
    I am actually going to voice my opinion on this one.
    I iz up for de lanz in de kwaik semis alright. Lan would be fairer for everybody and ..........tis great craic.
    Laters
    Div

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

lan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I'm actually thinking more of Hurlin, coz they havent a hope with their connections

what exactly is wrong with their conns? its the same internet we're all playing over, or do they have some special crap internet, the celeron internet or summit? smile.gif

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog:
    ...or do they have some special crap internet, the celeron internet or summit? smile.gif

rofl, with ATI rage 128 vid cards, 9600 baud modems and 4 megs of ram.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I think it should definietly be hosted at a LAN, it is the only totally fair way of seeing which clan is the best !!!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

lan, unless one of the teams totally cant play or something.. but if both teams can make it then definitely lan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Would like to hear everyones opinion too, but only from clans members involved in semifinals pls. Keep in mind that there is still an english clan involved, BIO and that some clans have english members like Dk (Meandy). I have however made my decision to have it on the Net. But still would like to hear everyone else opinion.

Tom (Jedi)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My god Zero. A rational post without a single rascial slur!

I agree wholeheartedly, its Jedis call but Lan's Yer Man.

DeV.

jesus dev are you in semis smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

Why not just play it on a LAN if it's possible? Give teams the option. Net overruling LAN if 1 team so chooses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

Well Hurlin are not in the finals yet. We still have to play BIO. But if we do get through to the finals I would prefer to play on a lan.

Reasons....
    1. My self and Daire for example ( I am sure there are plenty of others) have been crippled by poor connects. Games could have gone anyway because of them. But picture the finals....2 of your team are rendered usless because there connects...you loose. You end up seeing another team win...a teasm you know you'd murder on a lan...but it was out of your hands. Whilst this could be a good thing if you win.....wouldnt you be bitter if you didnt.

2. Atmosphere...lans rock. The build up the, game, the post match annalysis, shouting abuse at the other team during play...i site Tom and Eric. And most of all the fairness.

3. Tom on you other post you talked about clans playing a different team for net and lans....saying this would be unfair to some clan members. I reckon this is a clan issue.....for you to decide....not for the league admins to patrol. I reckon the team that got you there is the team you should play.

7. I thought i had more points to make.

Are we talking about having just the finals or the semi's too on a LAN. Semi's to me reckons....you'd could have the third place play offs there too.

Do any of us work during the day ? smile.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

DOH
    Jedi, you posted that at the same time I did.

I think anyone in the league should really voice their opinion, which still rules me out smile.gif

DeV.

smile.gif

and I missed Zero's sig. I wondered that there couldnt be a clean post from Z. smile.gif

DeV.

• Advertisement

Well as you can see 2 clans (BIO and DK) have diagreed with having it on lan. So LAN is out for the semi finals. When the semis are complete we'll see who has got through to final and see what the story is then ok.

By the way the prize will be;

100 cash per team mamber. A total of 400 for the winning team. Nicely presented in a brown envelope. smile.gif But at the moment its looking like Net.

Jedi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Originally posted by Jedi:
    Well as you can see 2 clans (BIO and DK) have diagreed with having it on lan. So LAN is out for the semi finals. When the semis are complete we'll see who has got through to final and see what the story is then ok.

Nice one Tom, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

if we make it beyond the semi's..then id still be up for a lan final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Excellent news and its nice to finally see a thread with some thought behind it.

But I think in honesty, we should drop the hpb/lpb restrictions even for the semis. Hurling dont stand a chance with the naf connections from waterford.

I think the whole idea of this thread is for fairness and 'in fairness' H dont stand a chance with their connections. I believe that it would be better for everyone if this was possible.

Wacha reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

its on sunday? let them ring dublin and/or test out some of the many other isp's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

If I may make a suggestion that may be agreeable to all parties.

The 2 LPB restriction should be lifted for such games, if they are played over the net. BUT, only if both teams can field more than 2 LPBs. For example if if team "A" can field 4 LPBs, and team "B" can field 3 LPBs, then it is obvious that each team should be let field 3 LPBs for the game.

It's not really breaking the rules set out, more bending them in an attempt to make the playing field more even. It also does so without giving any team an unfair advantage, ie those 7 scum who could easily have 4 LPBs for any game. smile.gif

Just an idea. I know there will be war if during any of the semis a modem player drops because of poor connects, and that team suffer as a result.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

Wait a sec, What if BiO can't get 2 more LPB's? This was a LPB/HPB league from the start, keep it that way.

How is it fair if the rules and guidelines are changed halfway thru, or when it starts getting important, down to the last 5 or so clans?

There's plenty of ISP's, I've never even done a check to see which one would be the best for me, all I do is log on and play.

This league was set up to be played online as the first Q3 league in Ireland, personally, I reckon it's done pretty well so far. If people feel there's been mistakes made in the organisation and/or rules of it, then they can go ahead and change the format for the next one to suit the majority. IMHO, the first IQ3L has been excellent and very fair thus far, don't change a thing lads.

Lucutus of Borg

[This message has been edited by Lucutus (edited 22-03-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

What is your problem BUTCVHER? Why are you hear sneaking in your ignorant, snotty little comments? Have you no clue?

"Oooooh why don't the unemployed just eeeh... get a fcuking job? eeeh have they no hands to work with? eeeeh wah blah blah"

Go away you little weasel, before you ruin my day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

How will lifting the lpb restriction make it all fair?

Can H suddenly field 4 lpbs somehow?

DK can only field one (as far as I know)

PS can field 2 (at a stretch)

I have no idea about BIO

This leaves 7 being the only team who would benifit by being able to field 4 lpbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

dk can get one lpb if there lucky
    and 4 players if there lucky smile.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

Advertisement