Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's your local?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 howstheform

have none of you guys given jackies on the dublin road a visit?

there are some great bands playing there on saturday nights?

good beer and good crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Seeing as I've only just moved to Navan, I tag along with the prospective father-in-law to The Round O!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

My Local has to be "Harry Grooms"or "Bridie Macs" in Drogheda

And the tops are low and the skirts are high! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

O'Shea's or DeBrùn in Balbriggan....although the latter is pretty expensive with not much of an atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

O'Shea's or DeBrùn in Balbriggan....although the latter is pretty expensive with not much of an atmosphere.

Never been a fan of the bruns to be honest!.....pub sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the others!went there during the day on a Saturday with a few mates to watch a match and they wouldnt serve us because we werent wearing nice clobber!....bunch of twats!Used to work there when it was Ennis's and hated it!only was there for a couple of weeks!

I like O'Sheas though!one of me locals!Usually go to McCormacks for some matches and the Harvest aint bad either! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭floyd.pepper

how is it that all the pubs back home are always jammers?
    mustang sally's in cavan can get wedged. downstairs in the
    sibín on a sat night is packed while those with a head for
    heights can go upstairs and get a seat?

$ my first post ever, ****e eh? $

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The phoenix in Dundalk would be my local. Not so much these days but i do love the pub.

The landlady is a bit intimating but after you get to know her she becomes like a second Mum :)
    They always go mad on decorations for different times of the year. Around Halloween the place was like a bat cave with bats witches and all manner of decoration hag inn from every nook and cranny in the place.

As the cheers song goes "it’s always nice to go were everyone knows your name" and after you have been a regular in this pub for a while everyone will. There is something nice about walking into a pub and the barman shouting usual Opr is it ;)

All these old stories that surround it from years gone by also add to the character. Like supposedly the landlady who owned the pub before the one now wouldn't let you order a single drink you always had to get a round :)

It did get a very good write up in the Sunday world recently from that pub spy thingy which has lead to it being very commercially successful while I am glad to see this it means the place it always way to full at the weekends.

Still if you are passing through Dundalk anytime during one of the holiday’s ......... check it out just to see the decoration!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I used to be a regular in there too, I mean all the friggin' time - 4-5 times a week, used to have great craic with her. Then she refused someone in my company one day and I vowed never to return, which I haven't (3yrs+ now)
    I moved across the road instead.
    I'm stuborn like that ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Have to agree with O'Shea's good atmosphere, always nice to have some pooltables too. Used to like Ennis' but DeBruns belongs in Dublin City not Balbriggan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

My boyf works in The Phoenix - lovely pub - she really goes all out to decorate it - it gets better every year! Did you see what the prizes are in the christmas draw? Hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭dundealgan

Toales in crowe street (with d' baz, great dj hehe) or oscars in park street.

Unfortunately not 'mature' enough for wrinkly or amber, but refuse to make do with 'victims' (vicars, for any outsiders reading this) enter at your peril!!

Although it will be interesting to see what this new place 'sky' in the carnbeg will be like!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jack shictt

The phoniex i drank in once or twice, then one night i went in with a girl i was seeing the ower aka (swetty betty) made me sit at the bar and her down the back, i wasnt to happy near was my g/f so we left.
    Spirt store its lovey place nice good beer great manager never get there tho.
    Macs i hate the place i cant stand the crowd the lack of girls but they sell murphys now ;) and ive been drinking there sincei was 16, and the fact they changed manager again i fuking hate the place and the new manager didnt even give me a xmass drink, and theres only 1 of the old staff working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Used to drink in McCormacks in de Briggin! (2-3 years ago...) The bar was great crack! Anyone around???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Indigo in ardee, before heading on to somewhere else for the night club

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Spirit Store in Dundalk. Tis the place to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Usually Indigo in Ardee, Its the lesser of 2 evils, either there or the filth ridden sesspool that is The Castle Inn. Theres nowhere else in the town with good bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Toales on Crowe Street in Dundalk ftw. You won't get a better pint of stout(which is a bitch because you always want another one)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

my local was sold just a few weeks back :(

finnerty's in navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭**elaine**

Aww poor -bo- ;)

Don't really have a local as such, i switch between a few..
    Recently it's been Knights in Navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Blue Haven in Rathfarnham. Love it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Lawlors/Beerkeeper/Brubakers imo depending on mood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

BlackBull Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Lawlors/Beerkeeper/Brubakers imo depending on mood

Was in Brubakers again yesterday. I have to say I really like it. The pints of Guinness were fine albeit 20c more than most pubs in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tIS hImSelF

the beerkeeper got to be the best pub in dundalk

why....1) Great selection of Beer (over 100 beers...eemmm Hoegaarden)
    2) Comfy
    3) great crowd during the week
    4) great talent at weekend
    5) No scumbags
    6) No kids (very strict with ID)
    7) Class staff (but can be a bit slow at times)
    8) No TV or Jukebox
    9) Deadly background music
    10) No Guinness :) you got to try the O'Hara's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 robert bardas

The Sheeney -
    kells

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

'Hill 16' at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Connollys o' Scotshouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

If anywhere, its Ryan's in Navan, or Molloys which is good to go to for a few cheap drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

My local has been the avenue inn for years and im slightly worried about the sale of it , I know that colm kehoe is Very interested in the pub and am worried that he will change the "local" feel to the avenue inn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

For me, it was Enisses in the good old days, chasing the spanish ladies, then o sheas for a while, then tried the Skerries o'sheas and The Coast too, where i bagged the missus ;)

More recent years it has been back to just de bruns up until recently, but now its between de bruns and harvest (worked there for 6 yrs) de bruns is nice, admittedly o'sheas is great and only place to go for a messy night, cos you can burn up the dancefloor in the after dark!! but sometimes the place is too jammers and the music is *ALWAYS TOO LOUD*

So Im sticking to the harvest and de bruns, as for it being too classy??? Nah, im a brigganer born and bred, theres nothing too classy for the brig :D

Advertisement