Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space bar broken

• 14-01-2004 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't too sure where to put it.

Basically the space bar on my laptop is broken - I mean the black plastic casing has come up halfway off thebutton, so to get it to work I need to press down really really hard, which is annoying when I'm trying to type quickly.

I figure i could just take the casing off the space bar, then stick it back down again properly, but my mum (bought me the laptop) nearly had a heart attack when she saw me going to do this. :confused:

I'm just wondering, would it break the button completly if I did that, or would it just come off and go back on again? Any comments would be greatly appreciated

blondie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Usually you can - carefully - clip them off, line up the spread bar and snap it back into place.

Mhat make/model is it ?

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

It's just a normal Dell Pentium 2 laptop. It sort of looks like it would come off all right. What do you mean by the spread bar?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by blondie83
    What do you mean by the spread bar?

I'd imagine he ment space bar :p
    Usually you can clip them up and snap them back into place
    why not mention it to Dell?

Under the space bar there is a metal wire type bar that spreads the load of you pressing on it , hence the spread bar !

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Depending on the make of laptop there could be screws holding the keyboard down as well as clips... failing that, replacement keyboards arn't too hard to locate as they tend to wear out, have coffee spilt on them etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm doing tech support for samsung notebooks, and it's pretty easy on them. Call Dell tech support, they should be able to advise you over the phone / email

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

To keep you going, hold the alt key down and type 032. Its the same as pressing the space bar. Good luck getting it fixed!!!

It's just a normal Dell Pentium 2 laptop.

If you give me the model number from the label on the back I may be able to supply a replacement Keyboard FOC. The Pentium II models were usually something like CPi XXX.

Regards

tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Hey, thanks for all the replies everyone. Just managed to fix the thing there. We got the plastic casing off, and there was a second little plastic bit underneath that had slipped out. We clipped that back in, and then we clipped the main plastic bit back on top, and it seems to be working fine! Again thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated!:D

Advertisement