Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 98 - Won't turn off at shut down

Options
  • 14-01-2004 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Ahem.. A 'friend' of mine is using Win 98 and everytime it is shut down (Start > Shutdown > Shutdown > OK), it restarts instead of powering off or saying "It is now safe to turn off your computer". Any ideas?

I looked at the BIOS settings in the hope of seeing some "Automatically restart when powered off" option but no joy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it might mean he's got an AT mobo and PSU not an ATX one that handles APM (Advanced Power Management).

how old is it?

if it's the case there's nothing you can do to change it apart from swapping the motherboard and power supply (and case).

unless the BIOS settings just have all power management turned off, but I don't think that'd do it.

does the power button have distinct on/off feel to it or does it just click and not feel any different when it's on or off? ATX uses a 'soft' off which has a connection to the motherboard which shuts down everything, although the mobo still has some (minimal) power to it, but with AT PC's when you turn off the PC with the power button, all power is cut from the PSU to everything including the motherboard.

open it up and have a look at where the power connectors (the big bunch) come from the PSU and plug into the motherboard.

if it's a single large (usually clear or white) plastic which looks like it only goes in one way then it's ATX, if it's (usually black or brown) and looks like it's in 2 halfs then it's AT and you're stuck.

edit: or it could be that. (what Mike said) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks guys.. I won't have time to look at it again til tomorrow morning but I'll let you know how goes it..

Christmas Card List 2004:
    - Mike65
    - Vibe666
    :D

Advertisement