Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Arabs as "The Irish of the World"?

Options
  • 14-01-2004 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Look at this article if you want to be annoyed without knowing exactly why. The author is an Englishman living in the U.S.

http://www.nationalreview.com/derbyshire/derbyshire200401140857.asp
    "Irish terrorism is not dead yet, but if anything kills it at last, it will be the prosperity and sophistication of the modern Irish republic, her ancient and peculiar sense of nationhood dissolved by globalized economics, her religious intensity vitiated by the easy hedonism of Euro-culture, her aching sense of dwelling in the shadow of a richer, stronger power dispelled by the equalization of wealth and the shrinking of distances. Can equivalent forces act on the Arab and Muslim worlds, to bring them out of darkness into the light? Well, undoubtedly they can, but it is hard to see much sign of such improvements at present. This is going to be a long, wearying fight."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

<deep breath>

....What a....

<sigh>
    No better not.

Insulting is the word.
    Insulting to the Irish.
    Insulting to Islam.
    But most of all insulting to my intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I'm sorry but this guy sounds like one of the drunken idiots in Temple Bar that I face every weekend.
    Nevermind that the IRA agreed to a ceasefire 10 years ago...not 2...and it was all about (as with the Saudis) "inferiority".
    How can someone call themselves a journalist when all one needs to do is read one statement from OBL to debunk almost every assertion he made against Saudi society and their purported reasons for hatred of America and the West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by TomF
    Irish terrorism is not dead yet, but if anything kills it at last, it will be the prosperity and sophistication of the modern Irish republic...
    Never mind that the vast majority of those Irish terrorists (including all of their leaders) aren't actually from the republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Originally posted by The Beer Baron
    Insulting is the word.
    Insulting to the Irish.
    Insulting to Islam.
    But most of all insulting to my intelligence.

Can I add insulting to the English?
    Ta.

I especially like the bit where he starts with his analogy (or half-arsed attempt at one), admits EVERYTHING about said analogy is wrong... then continues with it anyway.

Then of course before that there's the whole paragraph beginning "The Saudis are..."... Yes, clearly every man woman and child in Saudi Arabia is lazy and only gets off his backside if there's killing to be done. This on top of the Kilroy situation - for multicultural harmony you can't beat TV presenters accusing "The Arabs" of every evil imaginable (not "Arab Governments" or "Arab States", mind, but "The Arabs")...

I'm all for free speech, but I'd suggest there's also a responsibility to think before your arse talks unless you want a Fatwah declared on you.
    Originally posted by The Beer Baron
    <deep breath>

....What a....

<sigh>
    No better not.

Why not? What a fvckwit? What a cock?. I could go on but this 'journalist' is not worth my more exotic insults.

Advertisement