Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

record player

Options
  • 14-01-2004 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

a record player that i recently got from a friend, isnt spinning at the correct 33 speed, its a bit slow. any ideas of were i may start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is it belt drive or direct drive? What make/model is it?

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

i believe ita belt drive, becuz, the turntable spins on an elastic band,

the model, is: ferguson studio 90, its an oldie.

Does it slow down and speed up or is it constant ? Is there a pitch (speed) control anywhere on it ? Whats the 45RPM like ?

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

45 sounds regular,

33 is going to slow, not very slow, but noticable.

I'm unsure of your level of technical knowledge so forgive me if I'm being over simplistic !

The belt you mentioned above connects from a small spindle to the platter. The small spindle will be one of two types:

1. Fixed diameter - probably plastic. Electronic speed control.

2. Brass spindle with 2 levels with the belt being pushed mechanically onto either level.

When you change the speed does it have a mechanical feel or is it more a small switch ?

If 2 then its possible that the belt is not being pushed properly onto the correct part of the spindle. If 1 then there should be some way of adjusting the speed on the small board under the stylus rest where the speed selector is!

Its unlikely that the belt is faulty but to be sure remove it and wash it in warm soapy water and dry fully and try again. Also turn it inside out - the side in contact with the drive may be polished and is smooth where as the otherside may be fine.

Tinky

• Advertisement
Advertisement