Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 pcs in house

• 14-01-2004 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

My dad recently got a new pc for himself and I am wondering what do we need to enable us to use the 2 pcs on the 1 BB connection!!!
    thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

There has been a fair bit of chat about this of late (myself included). Have a look here and here (go to some of the posts at the end as there is a fair bit of chat about USB on the thread) to get an idea of what you can do.

Once you have read through the links above post up any specific questions you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

theres two ways you can do this :

1. use internet conection sharing. you right click on the conection and set it to share over lan. then you set the other pc to obtain ip automatically.

or the much better way :

2. get a adsl modem / router.

internet conection sharing is a pain in the ass. you will spend most to the time trying to get it to work. I got a netgear dsl modem with built in router for 160 EUR. Really easy to install. if you use intenet conection sharing the pc with BB must be on all the time.

if you have a ethernet modem you can probbly get a cheep router for 60 to 80 eur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

if u have eircom broadband and have the netpedia modem its also a router, so all u have to do is buy a switch ( i got one from komplett for $25) plug the modem into the swith,plug the 2 pc's into the switch and set both pc's to automaticly detect network settings
    and your all setup :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i`m getting a laptop with wifi, gonna share connections.
    I rather not get another modem since i dont have a phone line near my room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Placebo
    i`m getting a laptop with wifi, gonna share connections.
    I rather not get another modem since i dont have a phone line near my room.
    ? Another modem wouldn't do you any good. You can only plug one DSL modem into a line.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by johnnyboy4711
    My dad recently got a new pc for himself and I am wondering what do we need to enable us to use the 2 pcs on the 1 BB connection!!!
    thanx
    You don't say how you're currently connected. If you have an ethernet connection to whatever your broadband service is, then something like this will do the job nicely for about €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

ICS all the way. If your under XP

Thanks joePC

ICS ?

ICS ?
    Helpful lot, aren't we?

ICS is "Internet connection sharing" the (very) poor mans way of sharing an internet connection.

If you want more specific information, it would help if you gave a better description of your corrent configuration. Is your Broadband connection cable, DSL or Wireless? How is the current existing PC connected (ethernet, USB)? Is the modem you have USB only, or does it have both USB and ethernet interfaces?

hey thanks for the reply. well not my thread but il post anyway,
    I have xp, broadband, usb modem, i have no clue wether i have an ethernet card or not, i`m pretty sure i have a LAN card or something if thats the same thing.
    i am gonna be getting a laptop with wifi so hopefully looking forward to sharing the connection, unless theres massive cons ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hacksaw-eddie

i have the dlink 604+ wifi router(€190 from elara.ie)
    its really good, but i bought a binatone wifi pccard and the connection was slow and it failed a fair bit
    now i have dlink 120 wifi usb receiver and its a charm, good fast connection, just as if i had a cable connected to the router
    check the back or ur pc/laptop 2 c if u got a ethernet port.. it basically looks like a phone port or old modem port but its wider, if not, u could do what i did for my laptop, bought a usb ethernet adaptor for about €25 and that will save u buying an ethernet port which tends to be a bit more exxpensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Save yourself a LOT of potential pain and get a hardware solution - get a modem/router and let it handle EVERYTHING. The connection to the internet the connection sharing and it comes with a built in firewall for extra protection. ICS = pain and very limited and restricted, if you where to use ICS you would need to have the net computer on all the time for the other computer to get internet, with a router it's on the net all the time and no computer has to be on.

hey thanks for the reply. well not my thread but il post anyway,
    I have xp, broadband, usb modem, i have no clue wether i have an ethernet card or not, i`m pretty sure i have a LAN card or something if thats the same thing.
    i am gonna be getting a laptop with wifi so hopefully looking forward to sharing the connection, unless theres massive cons ?
    A LAN card would be an ethernet card.

I'd second Eddies suggestion. If the DSL modem is USB only, then your best option is to ditch it, and replace it with something like the DSL-604+. (Don't literally ditch it - you might have to give it back some day. oreillycom provide you with a modem that has bother ethernet and USB, and IOL/ESAT are also provide a dual ethernet/USB modem since Christmas. I don't know know about UTV. If your modem has ethernet, then you can save a few euro and get something like the D-Link DI-514 or the Linksys BEFW11S4 for about €80).

Advertisement