Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cupla question...

Options
  • 14-01-2004 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody can help me out with a few things, hope this makes sense:

1. I got a website set up that uses frames (I know, band idea, but hey). Anyway, when you go straight to the site through the address bar, http://www.dahlia.ie, everything is fine.

But if you search for it in Google ("dahlia band dublin" does the trick), the link that shows up is http://www.dahlia.ie/Home.htm,which is without frames and pretty useless because you can't navagate the site. People that go visit that link would think that that page is the site!

I know the site is very badly laid out for that to happen, but is there anyway of getting around this, so that no matter what page you link to, the frames will always show up?

2. This is just a small thing, but whenever images load on my site, they appear as a blank box until the image is fully loaded, at which time you can then see the image. Most sites I've seen have the image load bit by bit vertically, which I'd much prefer, since the user at least knows something is loading. How is this done? Is there some HTML tag that you can add?

Any help with these would be really appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

You can fix 1 with a little javascript: http://www.webreference.com/js/column36/forcing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

as for pt 2:
    when you save the images (photoshop,et al) save as "Progressive JPEG" --this means they load straight away albeit blurrily and then get sharper and sharper...or else use a preloader script (google. typically JavaScript). (Also, "optimise" the images as best you can: it won't take as long to load..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Those images are way to big - you seriously need to do some optimising there. Seriously, do it.

The main 'menu' image on the left is 104Kb - you can bring that down to a quarter of that with very little loss of quality.

Your users will thank you for it (ok, maybe they won't thank you for it... but they'll be more likely to actually use the site, rather then bugger off cos the image takes forever to download)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Comments:-
    1. <meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 9">
    2. Page Titles help with search engine ranking.
    3. pics too big (as mentioned) & should have ALT text.
    4. 2 x reference to page best viewed size (1 reference in fact says that it 'has to be viewed at 1024 x 768...". Why?
    5. Mozilla Firebird didn't load the pic on the left or the main text frame[404]
    6. wingdings & papyrus fonts are poissibly not the best to go with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Fianna

Nice one Karoma, sounds like what I'm after. I'll look into that.

Thanks for all the help, I'll try to sort them out if I can. I know, using MS Word, the shame. But it's the only way I can do it, have no HTML experience, and we can't afford to pay anybody to do the site, so we gotta do it ourselves.

Yeah, you're right, the images are too big, I'll sort that out soon. Same with the fonts, that's no big deal.

But what's that about the "2 x reference to page best viewed size"? I put the "This site has to be viewed at 1024 x 768" message in because if you enter the site with a resolution of 800x600, the image on the left doesn't show properly. You can't see all the links. I know you're meant to design your site so that this isn't a problem, and that probably isn't the way to go about solving it, but it's the best I could do.

Thanks for all the help though, appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Originally posted by Fianna

But what's that about the "2 x reference to page best viewed size"? I put the "This site has to be viewed at 1024 x 768" message in because if you enter the site with a resolution of 800x600, the image on the left doesn't show properly. You can't see all the links. I know you're meant to design your site so that this isn't a problem, and that probably isn't the way to go about solving it, but it's the best I could do.

you just answered your own question :)
    [Not everybody has their resolution set to over 800*600 , and therefore cannot enjoy your site. Therefore, you lose a large amount of people that would look at the site, and for those that do stay...it hurts. ]

Advertisement