Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban Quake!

Options
  • 23-03-2000 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Lads, Dispatches is running a program tonight about banning violent video games and is aimed at (surprise, surprise) Quake.

Yis might want to take a look.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

what time is it on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Channel? spose it's RTE 1 or some other old fart channel.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

No, I think its one of the UK ones.

I'm not sure about the time, guess you'll just have to check the old TV listing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Maybe it is related to this:

Ban Quake, Home Office adviser demands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I think us gamers should kill all the people who have a problem with violent games !! Yah, that will show them ! Now where did I leave my railgun....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Yeah, thats the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

They're probably going to claim that the latest american shooting was the result of gaming.... rolleyes.gif

Pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

yeah, and remember, don't say fu<k around kids or they'll kill each other.

And the pathetic shallow warblings and showboating of Marylin Manson will make people homicidal maniaaaacs!

We are superfriends
    Super friends are we

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

10:00 channel 4 me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Why only yesterday of some 14 year old kid being shot by 6 cops after standing in the middle of the road to stop a car and pull it's owner from it. He managed to kill 3 cops with the bakooka and semi-automatic rifle he found by punching random crates he saw lying around the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

I wish they would ban it till i get some work done

Jedi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Thats the one I was talking about hobbes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

This type of crap REALLY gets on my nerves. Media gimps blaming all the problems of the world on games. It used to be TV and films that caught the flak for that, but that obviously got old, so the gimps had to move on to a new target.

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

omg that proggie was really bad. talk about one-sided, and the same old crap that people have been going on with for years.

Funniest was the US Marine guy blaming video games for the school shootings, with nary a mention of the ludicrous availability of handguns or assault rifles in the States. That didnt seem to have anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

"The fact you earn points by knocking down pedestrians seems to me against all the principles of what we are trying to do in society."

hmmmm, wasn't the idea of points for pedestrians around waaaaay before carmageddon et al. ?

The comments are backed by research which found children aged 11-14 became more aggressive after playing certain PC games. The biggest culprits were games which rewarded players according to the number of people they hit, shot or demonically ran down, such as Carmageddon, Doom, Resident Evil or Quake III, today's Daily Mail reported.

Exactly how long have they had the chance to perform this research using Quake 3? Are 14 year olds even supposed to play it? Doesn't it have an age cert or something?

Ah sure, while we're at it. BAN EVERYTHING VIOLENT! BAN RUGBY! BAN FILMS! BAN SOCCER!

Remove temptation from our path and have all women cover up from head to ankle! No eye contact! No talking! oh, wait, they already have all that in one of the countries with the highest rape per capita rate and violent masogonist crime around....

One point: they do say that
    these games are doing is reinforcing their own distorted thinking processes. Therefore, those youngsters which have a predisposition to steal cars will carry out that act more often as a result of playing these games

Good point, but there is a subtle difference between stealing a car and mowing people down in real life. Or shooting people and taking their backpacks. Perhaps they should concentrate on why these individuals (rare cases) are so susceptible instead of just removing the temptation. They want society to be uncorrupted? Doesn't seem to pure to me if it produces killers just by playing a game?

right, I'm off back to lurking.

smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Or shooting people and taking their backpacks
    LOL! smile.gif So funny!

I've been playing said violent games since such things began, D00M was great game!

I resent the fact that these bumbling idiots of political failures as this "Home Office adviser" are using these fine creative works as a scape-goat for the mess that idiots from the NRA have left the USA in.
    The States clearly have a gun control problem and many twisted people with some serious psychological problems.

Maybe if I were an outsider looking in, I could make the same link between violent games and violent actions.

I think most of us have spent many hundreds of hours playing violent games.
    Have any one of you actualy ever killed someone? (on purpose)
    I'd say you haven't.

I'm the biggest game junkie I know, and I'm not in the least bit hostile to anyone in real life.

I've played and completed GTA and Carmageddon, and I've never stolen a car or run anyone over.

I wonder what game the two kids that killed Jamie Bulger were playing earlier that day?
    "Paint the baby (v2.3)"?!
    WHAT A CROCK OF SHÍT
    (sorry to anyone who finds that in bad taste)

People do these things because they are fücked in the head, not because their console enticed them to.

That's my two cents.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by Stephen:
    It used to be TV and films that caught the flak for that, but that obviously got old, so the gimps had to move on to a new target.

I completely agree - I remember it used to be Rock music that did it, then Heavy Metal then onto TV and the likes. Games are just the latest in a long list of scape-goat subjects. Just because the content may not be suitable for kids, then it's the reason they're messed up in the head.

LoLth up there said that there are age certifications. If shops, parents et all stuck to these guides (in the way some video stores stick to it with vids), the problem *may not* be so bad. It's certainly a step in the right direction - a far cry from banning the things outright!!! I know that kids will still be able to get them (haven't we all drank before we were 18?), but a positive stand in this way may be enough to say to some of the old farts that "something's being done".

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

the presenters seemed very uninformed. Interviewing a few kids and university professors with egos to burn just doesnt cut it.

granted younger kids can be affected by videos games to some extent, but even then it takes a gun culture like what exists in the united states to give someone the means to carry out their fantasies (which appeared to be conveniently overlooked by the presenters, along with a lot of other things)

the media should steer clear of these type of programs, it invariably makes them look stupid and misinforms the public.

Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    Funniest was the US Marine guy blaming video games for the school shootings

omg, was this marine one who had written a book on the subject?

When the Colombine shooting happend, they had a marine on the news show who had written a book about how kids were being trained to kill. Only game he knew was Doom and after 3 minutes the presenter realised he was a complete whack job and had to switch over something else (it was all live). V.funny to watch. smile.gif

Here was an explanation I was able to dig out from another thread elsewhere.
    I forget the exact incident, but there was some kid that committed some atrocity that mirrored some story of King's. So, a reporter asked King if he felt in any way responsible. His response was that he was more involved with his stories than any reader could ever be, and the stories never pushed him over the edge. He grew up with the Three stooges and Roadrunner cartoons and knew the difference between real life and fiction. If someone was so close to the edge, he didn't need any story from King, he could be set off by being rained on by a thunderstorm. Who would you blame then? I tend to agree with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well it looks like Mary Hanafin of Fianna Facist is trying to get a bill introduced to censor games here in Ireland. I'd like to have her produce incidents in Ireland of games been attributed to serious violence involving children or even adults. I reakon she'd start harping on about Columbine in the US.

Bloody Irish politicians just haven't got a clue. Why don't they sort out their out shop first the corrupt ba$tards.

Gandalf.

BTW did any1 see that proggie as I missed it. I needed a good laugh last night smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

the bit I liked the best was where they tryed to blame GTA and Carmageddon on joy rideing, they said that games like these where you are reworded for killing and steeling would make you go out and joy ride (not in those words). If you ask me its young teenagers and young adults who think there great, get a little bit of drink on them and they think they'll never die (jokes on them)

as for that test with the ice and diping someones hand into it to see how bad they are, was a load of crap. They never done the test on the same person before he played the game, they done it on someone else and sad that the people who didn't play any games where not as bad, how do we know that the person who did play the game was going not going be like that anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I missed the program myself but I heard all about it. I have visited Channel4's website and made my opinions clear. And boy is there one hell of a response against it. Biased, sensationalist etc. I expect to see something on Right to Reply about this tripe.
    What worries me is that if say there was a debate on this matter I would hope we would have someone good on our side. The amount of posts on the C4 forum with the old 'I haven't killed anyone arguement' just won't wash.
    It has to be pointed out that very serious problems in American society are not being properly explored. The politicians jump on the 'ban games' band wagon for votes and because it's an easy issue. Christians like that ex-army guy just wear blinkers permanently. The tradegy here is the parents who will accept what they are told in a time of great distress and in the Columbine case they are suing several Game Companies. They, like Dispatches last night, have not asked any other questions. What is happening to youth culture? Nerds, Athletes, Metalers, Goths etc. - the list go on - all compete in a very hostile environment and the loners or individuals suffer the most. Why aren't they asking why so much depression and suicide is being caused at such young ages?
    Why didn't Dispatches interview any of the Key Games Companies or the Games players themselves. Because they would have been told about the positive aspects. Perhaps that would have been too balanced?
    This takes alot away from CH4's rep. if you ask me. Now I'm off to put somebody's hand in freezing water. Next it'll be genocide.

M
    http://www.channel4.com/nextstep/dispatches/main.html

[This message has been edited by musician (edited 24-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Mark o the beast ther Muso.
    Careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

I think it would be cool if they banend video games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

i too am against these "video games", being a housewife in aberdeen i watched it and am very confused and demand that video games be banned, i dont really have that much else to do, jimmys at school and wont be back till 3:00, i hope he goes off annoying cows in fields after that, or maybe hanging around the street breaking street lights, rather than playing those terrible games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

There was violence in my fathers day he said while watching that thing.....and they had no video games....just the eagle comic and a dodgy cowboy hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Oi! Samantha! Where's me dinner!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Maybe there IS some sense to this.
    Im feeling the urge for violence a lot recently.

"must not.....kill....."
    "ghak!"
    *smack as Paladin gets violent on some poor retard*

O well. I never had much will power to begin with. I woulda killed long ago if I hadnt spent me time playing games to relieve my violent tension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Predator

Lads get serious then u should present yer arguement to these people and explain why theyre wrong email the show/people behind it.Say everything that uve sed here. A lot of it makes sense.:/
    G

Advertisement