Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird e-mail from microsoft!!!???

Options
  • 14-01-2004 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

got this e-mail today, for the 12 orso time, that is supposidly from microsoft with subject header use this patch imediatly.

i know its a virus cause norton says so, plus it hasn't got great english

i was wondering what else i can do with it except delleting it, isn't there a law or something against spam and that kind of stuff?

it says its from m-soft to but i know it's not hard to send a mail saying its from someone else

anyone else get this by the way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

It's spam. Delete it.
    Microsoft will never send you out patches by email.
    I'm a Mac user and even I get these emails from time to time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are laws against spam, not that it matters much.

Look at this country up to 1/4 drivers are driving around illegaly on provisionals (only allowed on the second one)

Look at computer users - a few years ago , excluding large companies it was a safe bet that 90% of the copies of office weren't licensed.

And you want our laws to block stuff done in other countries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think thats more than spam it might be the sven virus,
    http://www.aarp.org/computers-news/Articles/a2003-10-02-microsoftemail
    f you get an email from Microsoft telling you to click on the attachment to update your Windows software, don't do it. Although the email looks very official, it is not from Microsoft. It is a virus-laden email that tries to entice you to open the attachment by pretending to be a Microsoft update. This email worm, called Sven or Gibe, is dangerous in that it is tricking some users into opening the attachment. If you do click on the attachment, Sven will attempt to turn off your anti-virus software and Internet firewalls and send itself to others in your address book, as well as any chat or file-sharing buddies you may have. Sven also attempts to steal account information, including usernames and passwords. Symantec recently upgraded this virus to a Category 3 threat, which means that it is a definite danger. Microsoft never sends any types of patches by email attachment, so you can be sure that any email with an attachment of this type is not from Microsoft. All the major anti-virus companies have upgraded their software to detect Sven, so make sure that your anti-virus software is up to date

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah I got it twice in the last year or so on an account I haven't had any spam on in 4 years (go everyone.net! - but cut down on the pop-ups). Complete rip-off c|-|34t4r 5|<urn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

norton detected it alright

got a few last year and more this year

just anoying me that i keep getting it once was enough

lets hope people read this and bewarned here by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    There are laws against spam, not that it matters much.

Look at this country up to 1/4 drivers are driving around illegaly on provisionals (only allowed on the second one)

Look at computer users - a few years ago , excluding large companies it was a safe bet that 90% of the copies of office weren't licensed.

And you want our laws to block stuff done in other countries...
    In fairness, these are emails distributed by the virus, so they don't fall within the normal remit of spam, that is, you can't go back to the sender and take legal action because they're annoying you. However, I would like there to be action you can take against people who allow their machines to stay infected.

A bit like you can't sue someone who gets sick, and who make other people sick before they seek medical attention, but if they continually ignore the condition, despite it's high contagiousness, there must be some comeback for others infected.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Seamus the original query was isn't there a law or something against spam and that kind of stuff? and I was just pointing out that law ain't gonna stop it. I was not insunating that people who have open relays or zombie PC's should be prosecuted.

As for people protecting themselves - Since M$ (90% of the market so kinda imortant) have unpatched vunerabilities in IE since November and yet another that allows URL spoofing etc. etc. it would impossible to prevent certain stuff.

And again a reminder that slammer took about 600 seconds to take out 90% of the unpatched MSSQL servers on the internet - just imagine that mixed with msblaster and target against one of the IE or .NET or NT/2K/XP files that has not been in any patch or service pack (even at 222MB XP SP2 does not change all files ! - and búgger all chance of getting that on dial up and noises about M$ not releasing service packs on cover disks etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seamus the original query was isn't there a law or something against spam and that kind of stuff? and I was just pointing out that law ain't gonna stop it. I was not insunating that people who have open relays or zombie PC's should be prosecuted.
    I know, it just got me going on another train of thought :)

Originally posted by seamus
    I know, it just got me going on another train of thought :)
    The "fit for purpose" / "of merchantible quality" one ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The "fit for purpose" / "of merchantible quality" one ? :D
    Sorry, software vendors tend to say "sold as is"*

* you local juridiction may give you additional rights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement