Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expanded Universe

• 14-01-2004 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I know nothing of the EU so where should I begin. (yes Im aware there are two double meanings in that sentence, confusing the way of the jedi is).

Is the EU done by lucus, is it done by lots of ppl. Is there a definite sequence I should read?

Opinions/answers please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Oh, big question here. First off, Lucas hasn't really had any hand in the Expanded Universe tbh. He gave out the license to a few authors to do them over the years, but doubt he even has any say about it anymore. The publishing companies decide most of it i'm sure. (Which could help explain why lucas has blatantly contradicted some of the set in stone eu stuff, like the origin of the death star).

As for a starting point, the first books I ever read in the expanded universe were Kevin J. Andersons Jedi Apprentice series. A lot of people have done the same apparantly. Its a very good series, does include the true origin of the death star(yea, you heard me Lucas, TRUE) and introduces fairly well known characters like Admiral Daala and some of the future Jedi. Luke starts up a Jedi Temple in this one btw. Handily enough none of the books really assume much in the way of foreknowledge, so even if your not up to speed it doesn't go over your head at any point.

There's a handy chronological rundown of books here if you want to try and start out near the films and move on from there or something (The links to each time period are on the left hand side of the page). This has difficulties though in that every now and again a book will be published out of time sync with the rest, and could upset your order.

Some other excellent books are the X-wing series by various others, the New Jedi Order by various orders and anything by Timothy Zahn. Just to clear this up by the way, the EU is written by tens of differant writers, each commisioned for a few books at most at any given time. If fans like them, they're usually asked back to do another at some point.

Comics are another matter again, haven't read a huge amount of them meself to be honest, but stuff like Darth Mauls comic, the infinities series (an alternate universe tale of each film comprised of one trade paperback) and Luke and Mara's wedding one (can't remember the title, and i'm NOT getting out of bed to find out :o ) and that were very good. Someone else may be able to fill you in better on them to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

thanks very much, I presume Ill find these books in Easons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Well, if i were you id order them off Amazon. Cheaper im sure.

Id sell ya mine (have just about all of them, including New Jedi Order) but i dont want to ;)

I started with the thrawn trilogy. then i did the Xwing lot, up to the Bacta War.

the Thrawn Trilogy, and the Hand of Thrawn duology are the best books. After that its a toss up between the first couple of X-Wing books and the NJO Series. Also, the Graphic Novels are pretty good (Dark Empire Series and Tales of the Jedi)

Advertisement