Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"SONY" To realease The Playstaion 3

Options
  • 14-01-2004 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Thats a bit weird they only came out with the Playstaion2 not so long ago.
    i think they should leave it around 4 or 5 years

here's what i found on it

The Next-Gen Console Round-Up
    Scrabblin' together the facts -- and rumors -- on the next-gen consoles.

It's that time again. The current consoles are settling down, and the first shots of the next-gen console wars are just being fired. At this early stage no one has a bloody clue how it'll turn out, but that also makes it exciting. Who knows what awesome games we'll be enjoying three years from now, and on what platforms? It's fun to imagine, so we've pulled together the scant facts that've been released (or rumored!) so far and put together this speculatory piece on the rapidly approaching next generation of game consoles.

Remember, although we're using every scrap of information we can and making some pretty valid assumptions, very little of what you're about to read is hard fact. Most of it is just speculation. But hey, that's half the fun, isn't it? To paraphrase a certain wise philosopher, "All I know, is that I know nothing."

Sony: Maintaining the Juggernaut

A mock-up of what the PS3 might look like.Out of the three major manufacturers, Sony's been either the best or worst about releasing info about its next-gen console -- it depends who you ask. As you might recall, its pre-release claims for the PlayStation 2 and its "Emotion Engine" processor were outlandish and extreme. "You can communicate to a new cybercity," PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi told Newsweek. "Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!" Ridiculous, of course, but lots of people ate it up in 2000.

For PlayStation 3, Sony has been slightly more careful with its proclamations. Thus far, the most important tidbit is that it'll be based around a new processor architecture called CELL. CELL will take the multithreaded architectural style of the PS2 to the next level with a number of discrete computing units that'll work concurrently to handle a game's processing requirements. It's speculated that the PS3 will have four CELL units in all, each one (supposedly) up to 1000 times as fast as the PS2. What that means in real-world terms remains to be seen.

It's not just about speed, though. Sony seems to be looking at more fanciful technologies to include in the new console, including EyeToy-like motion sensing. SCEE Vice President Phil Harrison recently stated that "future generations" might incorporate such technologies to feature futuristic interfaces and to poll the emotions of the user. Interesting, forward-thinking stuff ... but will it be in PS3?

There was even some talk in late 2002 of the PlayStation 3 not being a "console" at all, but rather more of an operating system that would be built-in and incorporated into "various home appliances" (as Sony told Reuters). There's definitely some sense to that idea, but we don't see it happening in the next-generation of consoles ... particularly when the current, traditional model is so lucrative for Sony.

The timetable for the PS3's production and release is still unclear. Given that its major competitors are rapidly moving forward with their next-gen platforms, May 2004's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) would seem an appropriate time for the PS3 unveiling, but it's unlikely that Sony will want to steal the thunder from its already-scheduled PlayStation Portable (PSP) unveiling. Perhaps September's Tokyo Game Show will be a possibility. Another possibility (though doubtful because it may impact PS2 sales too early) is that they may release more information at the Game Developer's conference in March -- we'd expect them to wait until later, however. In any case, Toshiba recently announced that it plans to ship initial samples of the CELL processor in March 2004 and begin mass duplication in the fiscal year starting April 2005, so it's safe to say that PS3 won't be seeing release in 2004 or early 2005.

Whenever it's unveiled, you can be sure of one thing: PlayStation 3 will be a serious contender. Video games are now a huge part of Sony's business, and anything but total next-gen victory would be seen as a major defeat.

Links:
    • Sony's R&D Efforts - Game Developer Conference, March 2002
    • PlayStation 3 Hardware - Jan 11, 2003
    • Do a PS3 News Search

Benjamin: I'd have to say that PlayStation 3 is the closest we have to a "sure thing" at this early stage of the next console war. Sony is executing well with PS2 and simply won't let up as it transitions to PS3. Hopefully, it learned from the mistakes of the early PS2 days (and the mistakes it made in designing the PS2 hardware itself), and will act accordingly. If it does, its two competitors will be hard-pressed to beat the outstanding brand loyalty and reputation for relative quality that Sony has built up over the last few years.

Fargo: We've heard little from Sony but for "pie-in-the-sky" high-level thinking. We know it'll be based off of obscenely powerful hardware, but beyond that we've only gotten glimpses into its creative thinking, such as the aforementioned bit on interfaces. But I suspect that right now Sony is getting down to the nuts and bolts, designing an actual box and controllers and software and arranging for the first content. It's got the name recognition and knows that it doesn't necessarily have to be first to market the next time around -- I think Microsoft is going to try to get the jump on it. But (as Ben points out) for two successive generations now Sony has proven that it can get its ducks in a line and produce a solid product backed with incredible software, so when we see the PS3 in (I'm guessing) mid-2005 I think it'll be a very solid machine, a market standard by which we'll judge the others.

ferricide: Sony is coming from the power position, and are pretty much unshakable in Japan. But Japan is decreasingly relevant. The market is in an unusual place; 8 to 16 bit was an evolution, but PlayStation popularized true 3D gaming, which set everyone back to a new starting line. We're enjoying the second generation of that -- an evolved form, a situation comparable to 16-bit 2D gaming. It seems unlikely the next gen will bring a revolution of the 2D to 3D nature, so how will the dynamics of the market change? Whoever can read the wind will win, and Sony has to make up for the PS2's shortcomings, both real and perceived, this time around.

digitaltaco: The PlayStation 2 is a pretty great console ... well, it is now. I can't help but remember being underwhelmed by the console's launch line-up. Similarly, the hardware isn't really all that powerful; just after its launch, I remember feeling disappointed by the PS2's graphical inadequacies. But now, when I glance at my game collection, it's clear that I own far more titles for Sony's machine than either of the other current generation consoles.

The most important aspect of any console will always be its software. With Sony's fantastic third-party support and its constantly improving first-party titles I have little doubt that the PS3 will succeed as the PS2 and the PSX have before it. Sony is typically credited for making video gaming cool. And if the company's prior two consoles and the upcoming PSP are any indication -- which they clearly are -- the PS3 should be another great success for Sony.

And here is pics of it

orig00000017.jpg
    orig00000014.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

some people dont learn

What merit does this thread have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 SantaClaws

What merit does your mother have?

Originally posted by SantaClaws
    What merit does your mother have?
    She died of cancer 4 years ago.

Anyways, i got my ps2 around 3 years ago or more
    Thats a bit weird they only came out with the Playstaion2 not so long ago.
    hmmmm, 3 years good gaming on a console is fair play i suppose, we`d be lucky to see the next PS in 2005
    i think they should leave it around 4 or 5 years
    until 2008, sigh, thats just wrong on so many levels.

Also you should link to your sources, only fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

That last picture is from a render competition. Unless you've been hiding under a rock for the last 6 months you should recognise the first.

Before you lock the thread (and you should mr. mod person) I'll just offer some light entertainment.

I give you, the Praystation 3.

ps3frontmis.jpg

Laughing My Arse off here, jasus thats a good picture, did you make that console
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Few things.

The PS2 almost certainly won't be replaced until 2006, giving it a lifespan of more than 4 or 5 years.

Couldn't you have posted a link to the gamespy article, instead of copy and pasting? I feel all dirty wasting bandwidth on that stupid article for a second time!

Of the pictures you posted, the first is a picture of the PSX (which isn't a PS3, rather a souped up PS2), and the second was, well... it looks like a mock-up of the PS3. It certainly isn't a picture of the PS3 though.

And also, your mother.

Shhhhh! Please your disterbing everyone.
    Thankyou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    ps3frontmis.jpg

roffle :D

Ah know i'd say it will be good but i hope they wont release it atleast untill 2008
    y'know the Playstaion 1 was out a good While Before they Released it.

Originally posted by SantaClaws
    Ah know i'd say it will be good but i hope they wont release it atleast untill 2008
    y'know the Playstaion 1 was out a good While Before they Released it.

why do you hope this, each console seems to have a life of around 5 years. U sir are a retard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    ps3frontmis.jpg

Funniest thing I've seen all day, that made my day
    LOL :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Agreed, that picture's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I think sony should bring in quality control for it's games when the PS3 comes around, it would stop soo many utterly dire titles being released, and would force developers to start working(since most of them need the playstation to keep them going). The last thing i want to see is a great next gen console with a release lineup of 40 generic 3rd person shooters and bad football games.

But I'd prefer if sony and microsoft went bust and nintendo could be around to make a million more gems..........

well i dunno now if io would be a great fan of Nintendo after what ive seen,
    well i had this argument before with the Nintedo Gameboy. (pure Crap)
    Anywho, i think the PSP will do great. and to be honest i cant see sony going bust infact i think nintendo will, if they donmt pull up there socks

Thanks keith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

You are an idiot if you think the game boy is crap, although seeing as you do dislike it you probably we're born too late to appreciate it and don't realise quite how much nintendo have done for gaming, especially with the game boy's. Nintendo will NOT go bust any time soon, they're probably still swimming in the profits from pokemon, and they still have quite a devoted following. Another thing-my playstation going bust comment was intended for humorous purposes, how likely is it that one of the worlds biggest electronics companies would go bust because of a console?
    well i dunno now if io would be a great fan of Nintendo after what ive seen

Just what have you seen? Have you even tried out any of the many MANY great nintendo titles out there?

Well my brother has a GameBoy and to be honest its not great, he has Zelda and pokemon aswell actually, but i mean its only my opinion, im sure you like it very much but its not my cup o' tae

Thanks............Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ok, thread locked. Santaclaws, you have one life remaining. I suggest you think very carefully about how you post here. Read the charter very carefully. If you post in one more thread I have to deal with then you will be banned permanently from this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement