Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

money transfer

Options
  • 15-01-2004 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

anyone happen to know roughly how long it takes to tranfsfer money to an english bank? cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Depends on the methods used.
    Telegraphic transfer will cost you, probably about 30 Euro (or more, I really have no idea, but that was the last price I heard), but should be there within 2 days.
    If you want to save some money, get a sterling Draft and get it lodged. The only charge you will have to pay is the issuance charge, which is less than the first option. This may take a bit longer with postage, processing, etc, but I can't imagine it would take that much longer, maybe a week at most.

You could also send a Euro Cheque and hope that they don't screw you on
    1) the FX rate
    2) charges
    3) taking the piss with how long they say it will take to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Blackjack
    Telegraphic transfer will cost you, probably about 30 Euro (or more, I really have no idea, but that was the last price I heard), but should be there within 2 days.
    If you want to save some money, get a sterling Draft and get it lodged. The only charge you will have to pay is the issuance charge, which is less than the first option. This may take a bit longer with postage, processing, etc, but I can't imagine it would take that much longer, maybe a week at most.
    Bank of Ireland have two methods - same day (c. €30) and two day service (<€10).

Bank drafts are being brought into disrepute by scammers, people losing them, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Bank of Ireland have two methods - same day (c. €30) and two day service (<€10).

not quite - they charge a commission of 0.2% (minimum 8.60 euro, maximum about 36.60 Euro) which takes 3 days to transfer. Best they had on offer when I called today.
    Bank Draft (takes a few days to clear) costs 3.60, takes a few days to clear, but no more.
    This only covers the case where you have a Euro amount and want to FX to sterling - you will know the amount that you are to receive the other end.
    You can take you chances with transferring Euro to a UK bank a specific Euro amount without the specific GBP amount on the other end, but chances are that the UK bank will rape you with charges and spread etc.

This is not a challenge, but if anyone is aware of a good way to transfer money to the UK I would be glad to hear it. I need to do the same shortly (depending on the exchange rate) so I would appreciate the info.

Advertisement