Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed lower after Upgrade

• 15-01-2004 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I've just upgraded my dell wil a brand new case, another 1024mb of ram a new Abit IC7-Max3 motherboard and a 3.0mhz intel cpu.

I had to reinstall xp during the upgrading process.

Post-installation my NTL cable modem is only giving me d/l speeds of about 15k where as before i was getting closer to 75k from the same sources. All my mates have NTL and their connection is fine. Any ideas as to the decline in internet performance. Really cant figure it myself. Tried with both a USB and ethernet connection. And i have all-new cable modem USB drivers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I presuem there isn't a modem configuration tool? It could be that it's after setting to default speeds on your side, which is 15k/s.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

15 K/s sounds suspiciously like the 128kbit service rather than the 600..

Call tech support and make sure you are definitely getting the silver tftp download to your modem rather than the bronze..

J.

he siad that teh problem only occured after the reinstallation. Therefore i think that its a driver problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

The problem is that when connected by ethernet it doesnt need ANY drivers. And the same problem is happening with a USB connection to the device. Which i have drivers for. I really am stumped by it.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    I presuem there isn't a modem configuration tool? It could be that it's after setting to default speeds on your side, which is 15k/s.

Back to my origional question. Are there any user settable settings for your modem? I presume it might come with some sort of drivers, possibly offering a modem control panel type thing. If so, check those settings out.

If not, ring support tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I had a the same problem us you but I was getting download speeds of only 10KBps.
    I rang NTL and they counln't help me. They even came out to check the line!! and still they couldn't fix the problem. In the end a bloke working for NTL told me to try these Proxy settings then I was back up to over 70KBps :D

Proxy settings 62.254.96.5 Port 8080

Go to Tools then Internet options, select the Connections tabpage and press the Lan Settings button. At the bouttom of that dialog box there is the Proxy Server tick box. Tick it and enter the 62.254.96.5 in the Address box and then 8080 in the Port box. I hope this helps you!!
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Originally posted by spockety
    15 K/s sounds suspiciously like the 128kbit service rather than the 600..

Call tech support and make sure you are definitely getting the silver tftp download to your modem rather than the bronze..

J.
    a quicker/more reliable way is to download and run docsdiag. it should report the configuration file to be ntlhm100-silver.cm. the main site might also be of some help

Advertisement