Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anti-traffic destroys traffic - how to alleviate traffic jams

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Here's the anti-traffic theorist's FAQ site. It's great reading, and leads you into his larger site.

<http://amasci.com/amateur/traffic/tfaq.html>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Interesting but anecdotal tales from WW2 would suggest that he's wrong. Allied truck convoys had two disciplines
    British - Everybody goes at a steady 30mph (or whatever) and keeps the convoy integrity.
    American - Everybody goes as fast as possible, convoy integrity is secondary.

Guess what, the yanks convoys would arrive first.

I'd suggest that the slow but steady driver takes as long or longer to get to his destination, but is moving for most of that time, so percieves the trip as less frustrating and faster.

As for the "I'll take it upon myself to manage the traffic" attitude, some people do deserve a good kicking

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I've a vague recollection of seeing something similar mentioned on a programme presented by Alan Alda (of M*A*S*H) on Discovery channel.
    The particular issue was trying to improve traffic flow after an accident in a tunnel. There were traffic cameras all over the place so things could be closely monitored.

The best flow of traffic was achieved when the cops had an empty road ahead of the accident. Traffic got up to max permitted speed quickly making good progress.
    The overall flow of traffic was slower when there was a partial lane opening/closure where cars had to change lane to get around the incident.

I'm sure the programme will be repeated on Discovery at some stage ;)

Advertisement