Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good DSL 11g router

• 15-01-2004 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Lo all,

Am in the market for for a decent DSL modem with 11g wireless, amount of network ports doesnt reallllly matter as I have a 5-port switch.

Using it with Esat. Would like VPN support, DHCP server, NAT & PAT, some sort of web interface, etc. Running Xp on 2 machines behind it.

Looking for opinions on whats good and whats not out there, best place to buy it, price, etc.

I spotted the 3com 11g offering on komplett for 106eur

120287 3Com OC Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway
    - 802.11g 54 Mbps, WPA 10-19 105.10

Buffalo seems good but pricey?

TIA,
    James.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Ba$tard
    Am in the market for for a decent DSL modem with 11g wireless, amount of network ports doesnt reallllly matter as I have a 5-port switch.

I spotted the 3com 11g offering on komplett for 106eur

120287 3Com OC Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway
    - 802.11g 54 Mbps, WPA 10-19 105.10
    Note that that's not a DSL modem - it's a "broadband router", and will work with any broadband connction that provides an ethernet interface (DSL, Cable or Wireless). If you've got a USB-only cable modem, it won't work with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Oh! emm.. I see..
    Thanks for that.....

Hmmm, as just like everyone else on Esat, I will need to have an rj11 port on the one I want, so to revise, I'm looking for a DSL modem with ethernet ports, which has routing and 11g built in.

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Hmmm, as just like everyone else on Esat, I will need to have an rj11 port on the one I want, so to revise, I'm looking for a DSL modem with ethernet ports, which has routing and 11g built in.
    IOL/ESAT have been providing an ethernet/USB modem for the last couple of weeks.

That Netgear is what i'm looking for but expensive, was looking to spend circa 100euro.
    So, I'm willing to compromise to keep the price down.
    I would be just as happy with a normal 11b 11meg wirless as opposed to the 11g.
    So, if we could find a DSL modem router/AP with just 11b for a good price, that would do me fine.

Thanks Ripwave for the info, but I have the USB one (since Nov) and I doubt they would swap it for me :)

found this http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=NGME102&pm=0

Thanks for the replies so far...

• Advertisement

That Netgear is what i'm looking for but expensive, was looking to spend circa 100euro.
    So, I'm willing to compromise to keep the price down.
    I would be just as happy with a normal 11b 11meg wirless as opposed to the 11g.
    So, if we could find a DSL modem router/AP with just 11b for a good price, that would do me fine.
    You'd be hardpressed to find an ethernet DSL modem without wireleess for much less than €100, so you're not going to have much luck finding an "all in one" wireless/DSL modem combo for that price.
    That's not a DSL modem either. If you wanted to use your existing USB modem and do wireless ICS from the machine it's connected to, it might work, but the cost in electricity, time and hassle would outwaeigh the cost of doing the job right.

Argh, yer right, no rj11...eyesight problems !

Advertisement