Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Problem?

• 15-01-2004 10:52am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is actually pulled from the sticky, as it's off the original topic.

This is what i'm getting in the bios.

Case Open Warning - Disabled
    Shutdown Temp - Disabled
    CPU Vcoure 1.71V
    +2.5V - 2.51V
    +3.3 - 3.24V
    +5.0V - 4.89V
    +12V - 13.05V
    Current System Temp - 30 deg c
    Current CPU temo - 41 deg c
    CPU fan speed - 2960 rpm
    Cas Fan Spped - 0 rpm (doesn't have one?)

Is

+12V - 13.05V

something to be concerned about? Is it related to the PSU?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i don't know a hell of a lot about power supplies but i think the +12V is your 12V rail which is sitting at the moment at 13.05V. TBH i don't know if this is good or bad perhaps you should check out the accepted tolerances for you psu with the manufacturers specification.

also some info on your system would be good. i think you have an amd system that is overclocked which would explain why your at a vcore of 1.71v. The overclock my be putting a strain on your psu and if its a crappy no-name one it may not be able to handle it.

for example i think my antec 480W psu has a +12V rail that is meant operate within 5% so that should be a max value of 12.6V but thats my psu

anyone more info needed

data

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

D'oh.

AMD athlon 1800+
    Elite K7VTA3 M/b.
    512 MB PC27000 Crucial DDR
    60 GB Maxtor HDD.
    Cheap ass no name case with accompanying cpu

I thought i had the default settings left in the bios, well default high performace or something. I'll try adjusting to the failsafe setting...

Not intentionally overclocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

my fault you probably have the default settings perhaps amd lowered the voltage on the barton chips or something my default vcore is 1.65V i overclock using 1.75V

i presume you mean the cheap ass no name case with accompaning psu? :) if so that could be your reason for the high 12V value. i would think it would be fine but it might not stand up to an overclock

a good idea to test your power supply is have your computer idle and look at the values on the rails. Then put your cpu under load using prime95 or something. see if they change and if they change much. afaik a good psu doesn't change much under load.

hopefully someone will come along more informed then i :)

good luck

data

edit presuming you have a palomino core they are meant to operate at 1.75 vcore i think. if its a thoroughbred i think its meant to operate at 1.5Vcore

Advertisement