Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Saturday's Independant

Options
  • 15-01-2004 10:59am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In last Saturday's Independant (could of been the Times) they had an article about Poker - specifically in Ireland. The Journo went off and experienced the 3 different types of exposure to poker available to the Irish public - Poker Clubs, Online, TV.

In the article he was entered in the recent Irish Festival held in the Merrion and had a blast - lasting longer then some of the more recognised players - he mentioned 'Stormin' Norman who anyone at the Fitzwilliam will remember.

He also spent a night online playing on some of the more popular sites - Ladbrokes, Party Poker etc. He didn't like this at all and felt it was too clinical and detatched - maybe he should of done the online thing first before he got a taste of the real thing.

Finally he spent some time looking at the various poker shows on TV with their under table cameras and an insight into how the professional plays - found it interesting but because it was non-interactive didn't really feed his taste for the game. If anything made him want ot visit the card club again.

He ranked his experience in this order (best at the top)

Card Club
    TV

I thought this was surprising but he was a complete novice - at least the article gave that impression. I suppose I would favour the card club over the online experience but you can win more money online, if that's what your goal is.

Hyzepher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I've only been playing poker properly for the last 6 months or so, but at the moment its still all about the buzz of sitting around a table with real people and taking their chips/money (hopefully by skill rather than luck!).
    Only ever played online once or twice for play money and there's no point from what I can see.
    There's such a difference when you get the card you want on the river to make a straight and you know you have your opponent's 2 pair beaten.

I suppose if I got more serious and wanted to make a bit of proper money from poker then the online poker would become more appealing but hopefully that wouldn't take any of the fun out of the game.

Advertisement