Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Heskey That Bad?

• 15-01-2004 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

It seems to me that while Heskey has limited ability he is often used as a scapegoat for both Liverpool and England.He is a target man with great pace,aerial ability and will run his heart out.When Houllier signed him we all thought he was the next Toshack,but lets not forget the 'pools tactics for the last 3yrs have been so defensive that long balls to Owen on his own up front have been the order of the day.
    Houllier's decision to turn him into a left winger for a season and a half(much like he is doing with Diouf now on the right)was a disaster for a guy who has always needed a manager who shouts at him.As a lone frontman he has preformed well and I think with the right amount of motivation and a style of football that suits him,he can still do a job at the top level.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

IMO hesky is the typical English Football Target Man and is good in that role when he has Owen to feed of his knock downs. Football has moved on from that and the sucessfull teams do not play that system any more. Heskey lacks the skills and balance to be a top class lone frontman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Would agree with some of the points in the last two posts

1 He simply is not good enough at the top level

2 Even the limited skills he has and his pace and power have noy been utilisied by GH at Liverpool. He is not a winger. He is a centre forward who is strong and fast and will work hard but that is about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

A lot of peoples problem is that for a man his size he is a wuss. He is easily shaken off the ball and doesn't win enough in the air given his size.

Plus he couldn't hit a barn door from 2 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

He's most definitely underrated. He might not be the best player in the world, but he does have a high work rate. Houllier continuously plays him in bad positions and fails to make use of what talent he has. I used to call him "donkey heskey" but in the last few months my viewpoint has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I agree with a lot of you that he does work hard but that is only when he wants to. It may be a confidence thing and if it is he should get bloody hypnotised or something. He lacks aggression and determination. If he is going up for a header inside the box he should be forcing his way through with a lot of determination on his face which all the great players do but he only does on occasions.

here's something to cheer you all up this morning:
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/gallery/0,8555,795786,00.html
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd just like to echo the main points, could do better could be used much better...going through good spell which will hopefully continue and selling him in January would be mad.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

in terms of selling him now, gauranteed the only wy they would do that would be if they could move forward the purchase of cisse

Advertisement