Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Up Webtext Limit To 300

Options
  • 15-01-2004 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Howeya

Vodafone are after upping their webtext limit to 300 and now alow messages to be sent to all Irish operators? The second bit is not working at the mo but that should be fixed soon me hopes :p

About time me thinks!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

About fuckin time. Shower of wankers, Not to put too fine a point on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Could t be a bug in their system?

On the page to type SMS it clear says
    Send 30 messages FREE each month to any Vodafone number.

Then again they might just not updating the page properly.:rolleyes:

Eithere way it is good to have 300 free webtext

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah excellent. Now I'll actually use it from work.

Keep pumping out the info from inside jesus_thats_gre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

about time.
    was jealous of the free texts ya get with O2.
    is it just me, but is the vodafone site slow lately. haven't checked it today but a few times i checked it over the past couple of weeks it has taken me ages to check my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Rabies
    is it just me, but is the vodafone site slow lately. haven't checked it today but a few times i checked it over the past couple of weeks it has taken me ages to check my account.
    Yeah HTTPS requests were crawling along and even timing out for me last week and the start of this week.

Seems much improved from yesterday. Fast enough now to be usable, but not as fast as it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The site has been getting hammered since Christmas, thats why it is running so slow unfortunately. Gradually it will go back normal I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

it'd be fairly sweet if someone would come up with a script like o2sms http://www.mackers.com/projects/o2sms/o2sms.txt

so u could send messages from the command prompt instead of having to log into the site the whole time. If only Meteor would increase their allowance also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Nice one vodafone!!!

It is now working to all networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    The site has been getting hammered since Christmas, thats why it is running so slow unfortunately.

would have thought a better strategy would be to manage the site capacity to deal with the demand... especially as they highlight it to customers so much...

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

brilliant! bout time too. hopefully this will knock a few yoyos off the bill.
    now if only they could speed up access to their web site....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

and just a month after I switched from Vodafone to o2 for their free text messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Good work, Vodafone.

They just saved themselves a customer: 5 minutes ago I received my NAC for 3510i. I unlocked it and was about to head out to the O2 store to get myself a new SIM card. Just thought I'd check good ol' Boards.ie before heading out :)

By the way, in case anyone else out there has a 3510i (and possibly a 3510, they're quite similar), I received a "Code Error!" message -FOUR- times in a row after entering the unlocking code provided.

After 5 times, the phone would have locked itself, so I stopped. Just for curiosity's sake (and possibly Pete's and Christ's), I tried using an O2 card in the phone and it worked perfectly.

The more you know! :)

-Seán

Originally posted by DubWireless
    would have thought a better strategy would be to manage the site capacity to deal with the demand... especially as they highlight it to customers so much...

BrianG

Yeah would have been nice. But then again, the bandwidth they have allocated for the website is more that enough for 90% of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

That's Great, brilliant!

Do you think there will be a day that we can send international text on the Vodafone web site?

jesus_thats_gre, do you work in Vodafone?
    Thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    But then again, the bandwidth they have allocated for the website is more that enough for 90% of the year.

But then again - for 10% of the year (assuming your figure isn't just a guess ;)) it just doesn't work properly so that's ok :confused: - whereas a bit of planning and managing of such things could deal with the situation...

perhaps they might learn for the situation - especially as they direct more and more people to using the site and expand their web based services (like extending webtext)

BrianG

Originally posted by DubWireless
    But then again - for 10% of the year (assuming your figure isn't just a guess ;)) it just doesn't work properly so that's ok :confused: - whereas a bit of planning and managing of such things could deal with the situation...

perhaps they might learn for the situation - especially as they direct more and more people to using the site and expand their web based services (like extending webtext)

BrianG

Dont worry, that was just a random guess... The service has been a bit iffy now for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

about bloody time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

happy days :)

thats 4 1/2 (30) weeks in a month assuming four weekends thats 30-8

22 days
    thats on average 13.something or order text messages a day from work.

not bad since it only used to be 1.3
    :)

J

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

It's working to all the nets now and is pretty nifty.
    However O2 IRL still beat it as theirs send worldwide.
    Mind you, that's when you can get on to either of their sites.
    Word of warning for anyone thinking of taking up the O2 IRL all-Ireland tariff -it doesn't work.
    The bill I just paid was 136€ for mainly incoming and the current one is now up to 217€ (ex-Vat and excluding add-ons and line rental). I haven't made an MO call on it since the 23rd of December.
    Phone is permenantly locked to O2 UK but every incoming call is charged for.
    Guess I'll be looking at Voodoo's similar offering -but let's hope it works.

É
    www.rte.ie/radio1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

This doesnt seem to be working for me now? :(
    I have sent about 30 messages so far, so I'm kinda worried. Can anyone else confirm how it's working for you and how many messages you have sent?

Thanks,

mfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

when I go to webtext it tells me

"Thank you for benefiting from our 300 FREE webtext messages.
    Unfortunately your message could not be sent as you have used your allocation for this 30 day period. "

I didn't use up thirty in the last 16 days, never mind 300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Been working fine for me but the site is patheticly slow for the past couple of weeks especially for email. I'm using broadband so its definetely a problem on vodafone's side

Originally posted by Kananga
    when I go to webtext it tells me

"Thank you for benefiting from our 300 FREE webtext messages.
    Unfortunately your message could not be sent as you have used your allocation for this 30 day period. "

I didn't use up thirty in the last 16 days, never mind 300.

This is the exact same message I get, I hope they sort it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

Originally posted by cuan
    it'd be fairly sweet if someone would come up with a script like o2sms http://www.mackers.com/projects/o2sms/o2sms.txt

so u could send messages from the command prompt instead of having to log into the site the whole time. If only Meteor would increase their allowance also.

Mackers has updated that so it deals with vodafone and meteor now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

looks to me like its been set up incorrectly or else shut down altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

shut down altogether!

nooooooooo they can't do that can they?

might join you in moving to o2

Originally posted by skipn_easy
    Mackers has updated that so it deals with vodafone and meteor now as well.

Yup, saw that, however it doesn't work with meteor yet, you gotta go here http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~shimoda/projects/

Excuse my stupidity but could someone explain to me how you use that script thingy that Mackers did up? Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

mfield :confused:

• Advertisement

well, i run it from a remote linux shell that i have an account on (www.skynet.ie). If u don't know what this is or u don't have access to one, i think u can run it from any desktop windows machine too, as long as you install a version of perl www.perl.com.. you will also need to install all the additional perl libraries that the mackers script requires. Is there anyone who has done this already who can give a more specific answer.

To actually use it u simply type

o2sms.pl john followed by the text you want to appear in the txt. to send the message you simply put a "." on a line of it's own.

you also must set up a text configuration file that stores all the numbers of people you want to send messages too. This goes in a .o2smsrc file. Once you get it installed, it's easy enough to workout.

Advertisement