Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good US stores for PC Hardware that ship to Ireland?

• 15-01-2004 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi folks!

Just looking at how badly the dollar is doing on the exchange rates, and I'm thinking it would be a pity not to make good use of it. Anyone know of good PC Hardware stores (MP3 players, graphics cards, memory, that kinda stuff) in the States that ship to Ireland?

I was google-ing around for this, but the most I got were stores shipping to APO addresses (US military bases in europe etc).

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

none of them do, i think theres some law against it, as if this were possible, who would buy from irish sites, when they could get the same stuff a helluva lot cheaper online from america.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I've got stuff off outpost.com in the past, but have been stung for excise duty more often than not.

I know the dollar is weak .. but keep in mind the cost of shipping, the prospect of being charged excise on import, the cost/liklihood of having to return faulty goods, and the cost (if applicable) of power converters.

That said, alot of sites won't slell international because of reseller agreements with manufacturers/wholesalers. outpost will sell you some LCD monitors, but not an Apple G5 for example.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

ebay ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    none of them do, i think theres some law against it, as if this were possible, who would buy from irish sites, when they could get the same stuff a helluva lot cheaper online from america.

And where did you pull that from exactly?

These days they are meant to charge EU Vat on their end, but other than that, its no big deal ordering from the US. Pricewatch lists International Resellers with a dot beside there name. Beware however, some US Sites count Canada as their only country to ship internationally to.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

there's no law against buying stuff from the states:rolleyes:

I'm looking to buy an Audigy 2 from axiontech.com
    As another poster said, they can really screw you on shipping so I've emailed them asking how much shipping would be to ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i was basing that partly on what iwas told before, and partly on the fact i never found a site that delivered abroad i.e. to ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

www.excaliberpc.com , they have a good range of stuff but there delivery option isint the best.....

delivery to anywhere [edit] $12 and the value cant be over $150, and weight not over 2lbs i think.......... good for getting CPU's and memory, cheapest delivery ive seen from abroad . Worth a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by Kananga
    there's no law against buying stuff from the states:rolleyes:

As another poster said, they can really screw you on shipping so I've emailed them asking how much shipping would be to ireland.

just looked them up and they say they only accept bank wire transfers as payment and add a $35 fee to that as well. that kinda sucks.

You can get an Audigy 2 - retail package for €90 ..........surely its not worth the hassle of importing it from the USA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    www.excaliberpc.com , they have a good range of stuff but there delivery option isint the best.....

delivery to anywhere [edit] $12 and the value cant be over $150, and weight not over 2lbs i think.......... good for getting CPU's and memory, cheapest delivery ive seen from abroad . Worth a look

am afraid they dont:

http://www.excaliberpc.com/shipping.php

[QUTOE]We just ship order within US (excludes territories) and Canada only.
    We do not ship overseas and don't accept international Credit Card.

• Advertisement

http://www.excaliberpc.com/globals.php?osCsid=bc8c9a9301af9100b7eb99f1ac51315a ,

They do ship internationally, there site is a bit confusing at first about it..... you gotta click the "USPS Global Priority Mail Service for International Orders" part.

Ive ordered from these before btw, there not bad at all.

"Customer must be resident outside of US (so Canada & Puerto Rico is also applicable, this is especially favorable for Canadian customers to get much lower brokerage fee from USPS. US military overseas APO/AFO PO Box is also acceptable as special case) , ship to address is also to overseas address only. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

If you have relatives in the US you could arrnage delivery to them and for them to fed-ex it to you, works quiet well, got some stuff from newegg in the past that way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

i don't think it's worth it, if you are not ordering a lot, or expensive stuff

for example, i want to buy griffin powermate,

on us website it costs - 42$
    http://www.smalldog.com/product/44557

but you never know, if you'll get taxed, the shipping cost will probably be high!at least 30$, they say some warrenties don't apply outside the US

if you add 21% it comes out to about 67

and it costs 80 euros on the UK website, but they guarantee, and you'll get it fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Heres a good place but the TAX kills ya when it gets here.

OutPost.com

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I've used excaliberpc.com before and they have the cheapest shipping rates to Ireland that I have found .... if your package is under a certain weight/size it gets handled by An Post (who dont collect VAT most of the time :cool: )....
    Ebay can be brilliant, or torture .... use a bid sniper (look it up on google) to save yourself time and money (not a guaranteed win though) .... I got an item from ebay one time that took more than a month to arrive ... it actually took that long, USPS postmark on box

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Ebay is you only man.....I buy lots of stuff off of it.....
    There are lots of folks who have mini stores (run from their bedrooms!). As such, you can get high street prices or better for brand new goods!

Always e-mail the seller before hand and ensure shipping rates to Ireland. Even if their profile says that they wont ship, most of the smaller guys WILL if you ask nicely and offer (obviously) to cover all shipping costs.

Jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Memory4less.com and compgeeks.com ship internationally.

I bought $600 worth of stuff @$0 tax just before xmas, took a massive 2 days to arrive by fedex and not being billed for excise/tax yet (i speak too soon ?:)).

Paypal is best method of payment as international credit card is viewed as a bit dodgy by US sites.
    i was basing that partly on what iwas told before, and partly on the fact i never found a site that delivered abroad i.e. to ireland

You obviously never looked hard enough :D

Advertisement