Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker 101 The first night.

Options
  • 15-01-2004 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

Well it was the first night of the poker school in the Fitzwilliam last night. There was a good turn out, 15 or 16 people. They are actually going to split it into 2 nights as there are a few more going to join.

There was a mixture of people there. Probably 50% or more, myself included, cited Late Night Poker as the reason for joining the course. A few people had no poker experience, a couple have started playing recently (like myself, I have a whole 3 or 4 weeks online and one real game under my belt.) and finally there were the seasoned players who are there looking to inprove their skills.

The first part of last night was all theory and an introduction to the game. It was geared towards people with very little or no poker experience and included a run down of how Hold 'em is played. At the same I found it very interesting. The rest of the night was mostly spent going over the maths. Stuff like probability of certains opening hands and the like, again very interesting. There was also a bit on position and what to play where, this will be covered in greater detail later in the course.

Next week the playing will begin. I think all in all it is going to be well worth the money and very interesting.

If anyone is interested I will post a brief rundown of each night.

MrP

PS There was a reporter from radio 1 there. Apparently there is going to be a segment on the Marian Finucane show on Friday. He recorded parts of the class and interviewed a few people afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

for someone who had their first night of 'real' poker last thursday in the fitz you did quite well! :p

I'd definitely be interested in the rundown

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

We will find out tonight if it was begineers luck.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

I'd like to hear about the course .. if they run another one I think I'd sign up for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by jedidjab79
    .. if they run another one I think I'd sign up for it. :)

They are going to run another. Contact them and find out when.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

I did this course in October last year and it was very enjoyable, able to ask lots of questions and get familiar with etiquette, rules, etc. And it does stand to you when playing in the tournaments.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement