Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving phone line and broadband

• 15-01-2004 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

I'm moving house in March and I want to take my phone line and broadband connection with me. Does anyone have any expierience with this and does Eircon charge you anything for the privilage ??

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not sure about Eircom
    But in the UK its common practice for most ISP's to force you to first buy out your contract and then buy a new contract for the new address.

So I'd say it could be much the same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

if they work it the same way that UTV do it'll cost you €200 to move the broadband + a months extra rental, presumably so they can go to the pub after work and have a pint or two on you.

This is of course presuming that your new phone line passes for bb. If not you'll have to buy out the remainder of the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Don't hold me to this, i vaguely remember reading this on eircoms site recently...

This is what happens if you wish to move house, and you have an ISDN line.

1) Inform eircom that you are moving.
    2) Probably fill in some forms etc.
    3) If the new house is not wired up for normal phone access, you have to pay 90eur (or something like that) to get it hooked up.
    4) If it already has been connected for normal phone, installing the new ISDN is a once off cost of 20eur.

I presume there's a similar pattern for moving boradband. But possibly cheaper. Providing the new house has a phone line, a quick call (or many,m you never know with eircom) should be able to get your contract moved from your old telephone number to the new one. I doubt there would be any charge for this, but if its more than 20eur i would kick up a fuss.

However if the new house fails the BB test, then you may be obligated to buy out the rest of your contract.

EDIT: They may require you to renew your contract for another year, so if you move, you might have to stick with eircom for another year. Check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Thanks all,

I think I might just give them a call.

Should have done this in the first place , but I'm too f*ckin lazy......

Ah well......

Wish me luck, 20 minutes waiting and then all you get is some bogger moron that doesn't have a clue.

Just spoke to Eircon. BLOODY MUPPETS !!!!

I just explained that I want to move my line to my new house, so essentially I will have the same line with the same number, but the gobsh*te on the phone told me I have to pay the disconnection fee and get a new connection.

DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT ???

**ME GETTING VERY ANGRY, HENCE WHY I'M TYPING IN CAPS

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

It doesn't sound right. I've recently moved a business line from one premises to another, and all I had to pay for was getting a new line put in to the new premises (there was none there before). They said nothing about disconnecting/cpnnecting fees. Of course, I haven't received the bill yet, so I could be in for a shock, but I'm sure they would have said something to me. Also, a number of years ago I moved house. I couldn't keep my number because it was in a different exchange, but there were no charges for disconnecting/connecting. At least, that's as far as the line goes, the broadband might be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Just spoke to Eircon. BLOODY MUPPETS !!!!

You said it yourself, muppets. My advice is to ring them back now, and speak to a supervisor/manager, basically, someone high up.

Then explain your situation. If this house is freshly built, it may be possible to keep your existing home number. But the odds are you can't. So basically, just tell em you wish to keep the broadband, and you just want to move your modem to your new house. If its a new house, then the exchange it's linked to is probably new (ish) and will more than likely be braodband enabled. Also, since the phone line is new, that will probably pass the broadband test.

Tell all that to the guy, and if he says you have to pay to disconnect and reconnetc go balistic.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    You said it yourself, muppets. My advice is to ring them back now, and speak to a supervisor/manager, basically, someone high up.

Then explain your situation. If this house is freshly built, it may be possible to keep your existing home number. But the odds are you can't. So basically, just tell em you wish to keep the broadband, and you just want to move your modem to your new house. If its a new house, then the exchange it's linked to is probably new (ish) and will more than likely be braodband enabled. Also, since the phone line is new, that will probably pass the broadband test.

Tell all that to the guy, and if he says you have to pay to disconnect and reconnetc go balistic.

I will be moving to a house literally across the street and it will already have a line, so i'm just getting my number transfered. My understanding of broadband account's are that they are phone number reliant and I could just plug my modem in, in my new house (once the line was moved) and it should work. Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Eircom cant guarentee that the DSL will work in the new premises the fact that you are moving across the street and you have DSL now means that there should be no problem, in the new Premises

you will need to get you Line moved €107.48 + vat
    and pay for the install of DSL again if its starter it will be free before
    the 29th feb
    so basically it cost you the Price of a new line (you will have to pay this anyway)
    and there is no charge for ceaseing the Pstn line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Billy-Joe
    My understanding of broadband account's are that they are phone number reliant and I could just plug my modem in, in my new house (once the line was moved) and it should work. Correct me if I'm wrong ;)
    Eh, no, DSL isn't phone number reliant. the line must be connected to appropriate equipment in the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

I have moved house in December with Eircom and had no problem.

I originally subscribed in March(ish). I was moving from Swords to Glasnevin and could not bring my number. they never attempted to charge me for the disconnect fee and gave me a free new connection and 1 months rental.

Up and running with no problems and have to say the service was good.

Buzz

Ps I think they might have a different attitude if you only recently subscribed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

DSL is line dependent, but not number dependent. Theres no guarantee that you'll be able to get DSL in the new building. Which sucks but thats Eircom for you.

Advertisement