Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vishnu.ign.ie - Q3 War 1

Options
  • 25-03-2000 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

Cloooud!
    Is there any chance that you will install Linux on it? The server seems to like crashing.
    A lot.

<< Arf Arf >>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I thought the servers were on Linux boxes no?

Jimmy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

SickBoy - no Vishnu is Windoze, you can check in Gamespy (once the server up back up) by scroll down through the dmflags
    to "versions" and it should give a setting of "Q3 1.16n win-x86 Mar 14 2000".

<< Arf Arf >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

WHY DON'T YOU GO AND SET-UP YOUR OWN SERVER FOR ONCE!? LET US HAVE LESS OF THIS MUPPETRY, SHALL WE ALL?

CLOUD.
    DEV.
    SLOSH.

I THINK WE ALL AGREE.

Hmmmm... thats a toughy!

/me slaps daire with a rather large trout.

<< Arf Arf >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

go away mirv....just go away

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The boxes run NT because its exceptionally easy for us to admin with PCA.
    The only box that we've had a problem with is the Linux one (it's a long story which I'll tell when its come to its conclusion).
    Q3 takes an entire monster server to itself, so does UT and HL pretty much does too.

Mirv, I hate to tell you but you are simply believing the hype that Linux is infinitely better then NT and it will vastly improve things. You are wrong in this case.

Unix (FreeBSD slays Linux every time btw) wont decrease packets size or reduce congestion. What it WILL do is make life harder for us to admin the boxes.

I dont want to start a *nix v MS war here but theres no chance of moving them to Unix to be honest. Perhaps you should try UT or QW. Both have decent netcode and at least QW we can run more then one a physical server.

DeV. (Dont get me started smile.gif )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

freebsd is better than linux, because most distributions of linux (slackware and suse excluded) are crap, and configured probably by monkeys chained to keyboards(soon they will write the greatest novel on earth..)

but if you run a proper distribution of linux, or just run freebsd, it will be a lot more stable than win32, simply because the OS IS stable, any stability problems you encounter in freebsd will probably be caused by the program itself.

just out of interest, what method are you using to admin the NT machines?

DeV - I wasn't pointing out that I was getting laggy connections, even with my winmodem I get a stable 126 to Vishnu with Indigo.
    I was pointing out the fact that those servers crash quite a lot.

<< Arf Arf >>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Unix (FreeBSD slays Linux every time btw)

The one true source!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

hmmm mirv, changing an operating system doesn't guarantee a crash free ride.
    'sides if Dev an' the boys prefer to admin (out of their own time and at no cost to joe public remember) NT, then so be it.

They can run it on an Atari ST running EPOC32 for all I care wink.gif

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

M1rV-io! Please and you re-post the address to all that winmodem stuff you have?

Advertisement