Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls over Computer

• 15-01-2004 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody knows if this is true - I was in one of the Eircom stores buying BB and the guy was explaining that if you make phone calls by the pc software they go over the BB modem and ofcoarse then wont be charged? Anybody know the turth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

bah, i doubt it.

If eircom offered such a service, then it would be all over here in about 5 mins. He could be talking about using a (nearly) free VOIP service, like Net2phone. Those calls are dirt cheap. In fact, buying a kilo of dirt costs more than a call using that service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thats true as in you will not be charged by Eircom but you usually have to subscribe to a webphone company to do that!! Either way it will use your cap up and then they charge you for going over. Doubt it would be too much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

its possible and a less conventional way is -> use programs that a lot of gamers use, programs like

ventrillo
    teamspeak 1.5

you just join a server or host one yourself and give the ip to whoever u want to speak to and u can talk away for how long as you want, ventrillo is better quality (just as good as a phone, if not better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

he was looking for net 2 phone. There are numerous pc->pc programs, and the most popular of those would be MSN messenger, its on practiaclly every windows PC (it comes in the standard install of windows).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SideshowBob

I guess the €ircon guy was talking about something like this: www.vonage.com

American though, haven't heard of an Irish company offering it. I'm amused that an Eircom rep. would even mention this, if it takes off, it'll wipe out fixed line companies like eircom and esat because they'll get no phone call revenue... Seems almost too good to be true really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Originally posted by SideshowBob
    I'm amused that an Eircom rep. would even mention this, if it takes off, it'll wipe out fixed line companies like eircom and esat because they'll get no phone call revenue... Seems almost too good to be true really.

Well the guy was pretty free with information saying how the 4 gig cap is not enforced unless it is abused which I like =) Thing was he was meant to be the manager of the store which I find amazing considering how he goes about selling BB.

Advertisement