Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for coding a media player

Options
  • 15-01-2004 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Doing a media player for a software engineering project. Just wondering does anybody have any usefull links (or code ;)) that you wouldn't mind putting my way, need all the help I can get on this one.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, the bulk of your code is handy functions and an interface. There are many codecs and plugins out there free for public use which will perform all of the media functions for you, i.e. You just use functions in the codec to play the file, telling it what to play and where to direct the output. There is no need for you to decompress and convert mp3 files to play them for example.

Just in case you didn't know that already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Build your own media player (JAVA) link..
    also, look through posts here (others have done similar projects-search for "id3 tags",etc (&PM the users?),google will provide the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

What language will you be coding this project in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

if you know flash you can simply creat a window and import media files into the flash and it will play the movie for you. no sound, but you can prerecord that and dub it over.

Its really really easy and all you have to add to your site is a .swf instead of a .jpg to get it in there :)

i doubt that will get you any marks in a college project red_ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by sjones
    i doubt that will get you any marks in a college project red_ice.

well maybe a 'project' is something he is working on for someone. Thats the way i read it.

Sorry if my attempt to help someone out with a coding problem was unwelcome, i wont bother next time

Originally posted by red_ice
    Sorry if my attempt to help someone out with a coding problem was unwelcome, i wont bother next time

Eh put your knickers back on! :) All attempts to help someone are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Len: could you give us some more information.. what OS are you targetting, is there any specific language you have to use, what kind of files do you want to support, etc?

I've had the [unfortunate] pleasure of writing a karaoke app with DRMed WMA files, and i know a thing or two about playing quicktime/mp3 files under windows/macos. Not sure if that's even close to what you're trying to do though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

You lads are deadly.
    My group has to write it in Java. The choice of OS is up to us, but it will be in Windows for the useual reasons. It has to play at least one music file, we're going for MP3 but we'll probably get WAV's in there too. And the option is there for us to play video files too.
    Because the course is "Software development project", we have to have a design document made, which is what we're working on now. Coding won't start for a another couple of weeks. But I we haven't doen anyhting like this before, so as I said any leg up s would be cool:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Len_007
    You lads are deadly.
    My group has to write it in Java. The choice of OS is up to us, but it will be in Windows for the useual reasons. It has to play at least one music file, we're going for MP3 but we'll probably get WAV's in there too. And the option is there for us to play video files too.
    Because the course is "Software development project", we have to have a design document made, which is what we're working on now. Coding won't start for a another couple of weeks. But I we haven't doen anyhting like this before, so as I said any leg up s would be cool:cool:
    3rd Year UCD by any chance? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

UCD, Uni college Dubai? why yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Originally posted by Len_007
    You lads are deadly.

Well quicktime for java will handle all those things, and there are tons of samples. Funnily enough in my semester of university i did an independant study course and did something very similar .. it was basically a very simple version of premiere using quicktime for java, and that was ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

just don't get too carried away. focus on what's is needed first (audio,design doc,then vid..) ;)

Advertisement